Heat anyone!? - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > Blogs > bruceme

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Heat anyone!?

Submit "Heat anyone!?" to Facebook Submit "Heat anyone!?" to del.icio.us Submit "Heat anyone!?" to Digg Submit "Heat anyone!?" to Reddit Submit "Heat anyone!?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Heat anyone!?" to Google Submit "Heat anyone!?" to Yahoo! Submit "Heat anyone!?" to Newsvine
Posted 09-02-2011 at 07:15 AM by bruceme

I finally finished the heater. about a year ago, I took apart the ceramic core of a space heater. Then created a replacement bracket for the ceramic that replaced the stock BMW hot-water heater core. I installed that and left the wires dangling. Finally I figured out the wiring for turning it on. I ran a tap off the fan reostat that went to 11v on the lowest setting. I ran that tap through the disconnected rear-defrost switch, then that switched 12v ran to a tyco relay which excites and turns on a fused 150vdc line to the core.

So if you turn on the fan and push the rear heat button, you get heat. It draws about 4A, so not much but it will keep the frost from building on a cold morning.
Views 3636 Comments 4 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Good idea. I have found that I can drive in very cold weather without much heat as long as the windows are clear.

Do you have a thermometer to check to see how much difference in temp the heater provides?
  2. Old Comment
    Almost none... It's very wimpy, but it's enough. I have found that a good lap blanket and a 12v seat warmer are amazing.
  3. Old Comment
    the beauty of the ceramic core is that as it heats up its resistance drops to the point where it wont overload or burn up. you may want to play around with a different switching system. at a higher blower setting your ceramic core may put out MORE heat as it's heat is not building up and it's resistance will be mainained at a higher rate hence it will continue to put out more heat, It wont feel like it on your hand but the cabin will accumulate more heat. thats how my ceramic unit workes, it's kind of counter intuitive. good luck.
  4. Old Comment
    Bruce, can you share the model # of the tyco relay you used? Thanks! Scott

Support DIY Electric Car
Sponsors