Better late than never - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > Blogs > kc7ekk

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Better late than never

Submit "Better late than never" to Facebook Submit "Better late than never" to del.icio.us Submit "Better late than never" to Digg Submit "Better late than never" to Reddit Submit "Better late than never" to StumbleUpon Submit "Better late than never" to Google Submit "Better late than never" to Yahoo! Submit "Better late than never" to Newsvine
Posted 03-31-2012 at 05:28 PM by kc7ekk

I converted my 1992 Toyota pickup to all electric on Sept 2011. I have driven it to work and back 40 miles every day for the past 6 months. I have put over 6000 EV miles on it now.
I have continuously been making efficiency tweaks to it.
Check out the improvements:
Initially 118Amp draw at 50mph
Added low rolling resistance tires, replaced wheel bearings, added aero mods, reduced extra weight by 150lbs.
Now the current draw at 50mph is only 90 Amps.

My max range is 64+ miles to a charge. My goal is to get 142 miles/charge. Efficiency and aerodynamics is the key.

Rule#1: Save energy without sacrificing convenience and luxury.
http://www.johnsavesenergy.com/ElectricTruck.html
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 16421 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Thanks for sharing your story regarding your EV Pick Up Truck conversion. It was an interesting read.

Out of interest, in relation to de-sulfating batteries, have you heard of a product called Inox Battery Conditioner? I haven't tried it, but I would be interested to hear about other people's experience with it.
  2. Old Comment
    well documented conversion. Only a couple of things I thought could do with a little extra attention. The mounting of the motor is rigid to the Truck body, I'm not a Mechanic but I'm pretty sure you should have some engine mount rubbers in there. Surely your motors torque will eventually twist or destroy your weld mounts? I'm not so sure about your Key making for coupling your motor to clutch. Any Engineering workshop would be able to make you one of those to the correct standard and tolerance for approx 30. It will fit better and be made from Key steel so last much longer. There maybe a very reasonable explanation for my last POV, but couldn't you have mounted a load of batteries in the subframe whilst you have the back off the car?? It would balance the car out much better, those little RWD pickups can be very tail happy in the winter..

Support DIY Electric Car
Sponsors