DIY Electric Car Forums - sabahtom
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > Blogs

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old
Rating: 30 votes, 4.87 average.

Yard test

Posted 01-29-2014 at 06:32 AM by sabahtom

After doing a bad job on the 35-pin ampseal connector to the motor controller, I couldn't get it to start. So undid everything and recrimped it. Three hours of my time gone, hopefully painful enough to remind me to do it right the first time.

No power steering or vacuum assist on the brakes yet so my yard test was straight back and forward again - but it moves!

Next:

1. covering up and fixing cables.
2. making a proper lid for the battery box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4403.jpg
Views:	1930
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	186  
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1155767 Comments 1 sabahtom is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Wiring behind dash complete

Posted 12-09-2013 at 06:30 AM by sabahtom
Updated 12-09-2013 at 06:33 AM by sabahtom

Since everything seems to work, I've pulled the cables through the dash and fixed the PB6 pot box to the chassis, with a backup spring. A failed return spring seems to be the only major fault that AC systems can have that would launch me through a red light.

Still looking on ebay for an appropriate Vicor megapac. Lots to choose from but only a few with 12-12.5v modules. I'd like to get one that will accomodate DC aircon, power steering and vacuum pump for $200. Could take a...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 70144 Comments 1 sabahtom is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

HV makes the CCShell go

Posted 10-28-2013 at 07:11 AM by sabahtom

DMOC and CCShell work ok with HV and a stable 12v supply. I'm using the lead acid battery from another car.

Had to disable the CHARGED_ERROR fault, but it seems to persist even though the DMOC is presently resting on a bare metal frame and has a the spec grounding strap fitted. The manual says this error/parameter were removed in later versions so I guess it was too annoying to try to get it right, even in the factory.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4908 Comments 0 sabahtom is offline Edit Tags
Old

Charging the pack - bench test

Posted 08-18-2013 at 04:32 AM by sabahtom

I was very cautious with this because my experience tells me that I can ask every question I can think of but there is still room for the thing I wish I'd known. Even so I may have probably done something unnecessary or wrong - but it seems to work, so I'll put all the parts in the car.

1. Connected the traction cables and charger cables to the bus bar and enclosed it in an electrical box. Connected traction fuse, in separate electrical box near the pack. The fuse is on the most negative...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4938 Comments 0 sabahtom is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 7 votes, 1.00 average.

Might go without the BMS

Posted 04-25-2013 at 11:48 PM by sabahtom

Despite the cost of the thing, my experience of two small shorts while wiring up the pack - 7.2v only - has scared me sufficiently that I don't want any unfused cabling where it could possibly short out the pack.

At the same time, fusing 100 cells would take days and my usage is likely to be only 30% of real pack capacity, so I can probably stay away from both ends. Anybody want to buy an unused BMS?
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 29052 Comments 8 sabahtom is offline Edit Tags

Support DIY Electric Car
Sponsors