Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > Blogs

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old

Changes as I go

Posted 04-20-2010 at 09:49 PM by hargadale

I Made a template of masonite of the transmission bolt patern to transfer onto the .50 inch aluminum plate as the first step of connecting the transmission to the electric motor. My plan was to connect the two Clark forklift motors together end wise. There just enough room to do it in the car. SO.... I went looking for a more suitable motor. I found and bought a Caterpiller electric fork lift truck, the end result was that for $600 I got three 48 volt dc mortors, and a controller. Plus a couple...
Views 1725 Comments 0 hargadale is offline Edit Tags
Old

"DE-ICED" (Thanks rmacey)

Posted 02-21-2010 at 10:47 PM by hargadale

Today I removed the engine from the donor car. I had to pull it and the transmission together. I think in the long run it is better to have the tranny out to make the adapter plate and so forth. I took lots of photos and will happily share them. In order to disconnect the half shaft axels from the gearbox I had to disconnect the lower ball joints and steering tie rod ends (I think that would be necessary on any front wheel drive car). Subaru utilizes a roll pin that goes through the inboard end...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready to pull.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	61   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	62   Click image for larger version

Name:	Out.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	63   Click image for larger version

Name:	De-iced.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	64   Click image for larger version

Name:	Subaru 3-5.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	65  

Name:	5 speed.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	66   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear box 60 lbs.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	67   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flywheel 22 Lbs 10 Kg.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	68   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temporary axel keeper.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	69   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exaust and fuel system gone.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	71  

Views 1972 Comments 0 hargadale is offline Edit Tags
Old

More Deconstruction

Posted 02-19-2010 at 09:54 PM by hargadale

How do you eat an elephant???? One bite at a time!!! I decided to devote most of the day removing more components that will be unused. Keeping with my plan not to destroy the parts, I seperated the exaust pipe from the muffler at the flamge. I pulled out the bolts holding the top of the rubber hangers fom muffler and pipe. Between the maniflold flange and the catalytic converter is a flex pipe. rhere is a ridgid hanger on either side of the flex. I removed the bolts and the exaust system was out....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Filler pipe.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	58   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolts in Baggies.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	59   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior Out.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	60  
Views 1533 Comments 0 hargadale is offline Edit Tags
Old

The work begins

Posted 02-18-2010 at 11:26 PM by hargadale

I woke up at five stoked about beginning the project. At six I started removing the interior. By seven I had it all out. Three seats two side pannels and floor matting. Not much too it. I didn't break any of those plastic blind connectors in the side panels. I put the seat hardware in zip bags and labeled them. I learned that from a friend that restored vintage Corvetts. I invited Duke, my friend and fellow Disel Mercedes owner over to help remove some of the unnessary components from the car. We...
Views 1792 Comments 0 hargadale is offline Edit Tags
Old

Advice to myself

Posted 02-17-2010 at 09:08 AM by hargadale

There are things I need to consider:
I can save myself lots of headaches, frustration, money and tantrums if I seek and entertian knowledge from others.
Secondly, what kind of EV do I want when I finish? I choose to make a medium range, street legal "Grocery Getter".
Next make a buget! Or at least have an idea of how much I am willing to spend, and is this amount realisitc? Looking for bargians is time consuming and often I won't find exactly what I WANT! Be flexible,...
Views 2188 Comments 1 hargadale is offline Edit Tags

Support DIY Electric Car
Sponsors