DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Motor Selection Clarification using OpenRevolt needed

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  drgrieve 
#1 ·
I have read through the Wiki a few times and have also made my way about 1/2 way through the Sticky thread above in regard to selecting a forklift motor, but to be honest, I don't know what I'm looking for.

I have an 62 ford sedan I will be converting, most likely using Lithium ion batteries to power it based off of everyones recommendation, but this is where I get lost on how the motor and the batteries interact to create power/movement.

Since I plan on using an OpenRevolt 144v / 500amp controller, what motors could I use with this which would allow me to go highway speeds, but not break the bank? Sure I'd love to be able to break the speed limit of 80mph, but would never really cruise at that level.

How well would a Warp9 move a 3500 lb un-aerodynamic car or should I be looking at something larger? If I go forklift, what exactly to look for there is confusing me, because it seems very different than a commercially available EV motor.

I'm having difficulty formulating my question, because I'm still trying to absorb everything but am serious about my build which will probably start sometime July.

Thoughts and perspective would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
To size the motor you need to work out what continous power you need to drive at cruising speed. Then select a motor which has a rated continous power above this calculation.

So you need to determine your aerodynamic (cd and frontal area) drag and rolling resistance (this should be a minor component) and choose a cruising speed.

There are spreadsheets available on this site to work out the continous power then needed.

If you live in a hilly area then you should work out the incline, speed of ascent required, and max laden weight and see if this affects your continous power rating.

Folks (not me!) here could help selecting a forklift motor candidate once you know your requirements.

Or get a warp 11. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.