DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Battery pack fuse protection

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  skooler 
#1 ·
As a newbie to EV's, I'm still very lacking in the knowledge required to actually carry out a conversion, I think that's probably applies to many people who stray into this EV world with sudden enthusiasm at doing something different and maybe challenging. This site is a great source of knowledge, Thanks to the many people who do have the skills and experience and are willing to share it.

Anyway back to the subject, Pack fuse and additional protection.

I've just started looking around for a DC rated 400amp fuse, my pack voltage is going to be around 200 volts when I eventually purchase some cells for my Audi TT, (no I'm not looking for high performance).

Problem is I am struggling to find a suitable fuse, In the UK.
They all seem to be 125v dc the highest I've found is 160v dc.
If anyone can point me in the right direction would be grateful.

I think I am correct in saying the voltage rating for a dc fuse is as important as amps.
In a short circuit situation AC goes to 0 in its cycle by nature and allows fuse to separate easier than DC.
DC by nature is continuous so when the fuse blows arching takes place and if the fuse used is not rated high enough voltage wise it may not break the circuit. Not good.
I think it would be really good if there was some basic nonconflicting information available on this site for minimum and ideal protection requirements on the HV system in a EV conversion.
How many conversions are out there with AC rated fuses for a DC pack or under voltage DC fuses at correct amperage?

See less See more
#5 ·
#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.