DIY Electric Car Forums banner

VW Kit Cars Gone Electric

59K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  EV59RAG 
#1 · (Edited)
Since there are so many people considering a VW kit car based EV build, I thought I would start a thread.

Please post any manufacturers and other info/experiences you may have, this way we can all benefit.

#2 ·
I will start with my hometown guys, the Wombat Car Company.

http://www.wombatcar.com/

Prices start at $5800 with currently a 4-8 week turnaround. Delivery is to the whole US. They welcome visitors to the factory with a bit of prior notice, and have a Wombat available for test drives.

I have been talking to the them about electric conversions, and here was the response:

I have several customers currently doing e-bats. Depending on how you want to secure the batteries we can add bolt tabs to the subframe to make that easier.
Along with the fact that you can find a Electric Wombat that someone has already made linked from their site, this kit car gets a "EV friendly" rating. I will be heading over there in a few weeks and take a test drive & lots of pics. Will follow up with a review of the car.

#17 ·
I will start with my hometown guys, the Wombat Car Company.
Along with the fact that you can find a Electric Wombat that someone has already made linked from their site, this kit car gets a "EV friendly" rating. I will be heading over there in a few weeks and take a test drive & lots of pics. Will follow up with a review of the car.
What happened to your visit and pictures? sorry to raise thread back from the dead...

#5 ·
I think im going to build my system from scratch. I have been studing electricity and find it very interesting. I have looked at evolks stuff. I want to build a system that I can upgrade later by adding more volts when I determine how much lead my bug can carry. I think im going to build a system that could start at 72 volts, but may be capable of handleing up to maybe 96 volts or more. I am a lifetime motorhead, always been about horsepower and gas. Took 4 bucks a gallon to get me interested in EV's. Now im hooked. Thanks for all your input. :cool:

#9 ·
The frontal area appears minimal (likely less then an original mini), the drag is anyone's guess given that complicated shape - but I would think that it is very slippery.

And I would say about 18 Golf Cart batteries would fit:

http://www.evalbum.com/255

This guy is running a 144V/1200A with 8" motor Sterling setup. He is reporting a top speed over 75MPH and a range of 55 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.