• Up to 400V DC supply voltage
  • Up to 100kW peak power output
  • Up to 60kW of continuous power output
  • Integrated logic circuit
  • Includes an additional dedicated safety supervisory processor
  • Will have dual processing and conform to automotive safety standards
  • IP66 Protection

#4 ·
Not a huge amount.... IGBT's have come a long way. And the problem with your situation, is that between them and Kelly, they're the only ones that make a 120VDC BLDC motor controller that is commercially available. And I won't recommend Kelly.

Not sure about price, you should contact one of their distributors.

sevcon is a great company with good quality and the performance on the controllers I've seen is good. These are their new line.

#6 ·
#11 ·
Hmm...
I have to say, it is the reason I did not buy that controller. It was not clear for me why they wanted 900$ for pure usb>can programmer ... now I know. The dealer didn't tell me that this is package of software and programmer kit. I was totally sure that software/programming support was included in controller price.

Over all, it seems to be cheaper to develop my own controller and sell kit version in future.

#12 ·
so does that mean that using the hand-held programmer a sevcon controller can be paired to an AC motor relatively easy??? if that is the case, it seems reasonable that controller dealers would rent the programmer to their customers, or people planning to use a sevcon would chip in and only buy one programmer...but that's only if the hand-held programmer makes matters easier which I am not sure if it is the case.

#13 ·
It's a bit like the Curtis AC controllers. They need a programmer to set them up for the motor and current limits, battery voltage, etc. Many places that sell the controllers will rent a programmer to you. I know ElectricMotorsport and Thunderstruck do.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for info.

It was first controller I have considered to buy.
Unfortunately there is no available version for higher voltage for PMS motor (max battery voltage in my system is 135V).
These controllers only work with 12bit encoders (I have 8bit)

Second link - sigma2 is not available - coming soon as stated on website.

#17 ·
what is an encoder... thats new to me!

do I have/need this also on my 1972 Triumph EV-conversion?
.. or this this more modern stuff?
encoder is device telling position of motors rotor - used in brushless motors in sensor mode controll

By the way, which PM motor are you using?
I use brushless PMS150 - 16kW S1, made by perm motors company

#19 ·
PMSM is easier to control than ACIM because of the ease of finding the rotor flux angle. It's just the same as the rotor angle. I'm 99% done with some FOC software for a PMSM motor, and have some boards on the way. There's a power board (4 ounce copper), low side driver, high side driver, and then 4 layer control board. It's all open source so once it gets posted to the ecomodder wiki you can decide if you want to go that route. It uses 24 TO-247 (or t-max) package igbts, and through-hole film caps. Rated to around 330v DC bus, and maybe 200ampRMS per phase. We'll see though. Assuming a PMSM motor, that works out to
power = Vrms * Irms * Sqrt(3) * power_factor

Power = 330/sqrt(2) * 200amp * sqrt(3) * 0.95

Power = 77kW

There's really not much to drill, and the parts cost is around $500 or so I think. I"ll have to add it up, but it should be pretty cheap.

#20 · (Edited)
#21 · (Edited)
Breaking news!!!

Sevcon now has a sales department to deal with private customers like us, contact is :
Glyn Martin
Managing Director
Sevcon distributer uk south
Aviation Equipment Resources Ltd
Office 53 , Airways House
1st Avenue , Stansted Airport , Essex , U.k.

Glyn Martin just told me that they are only picking up business now and start after easter! Just got a quote for the Gen4 size 8 controller = 7.012 Euro! + VAT

#29 · (Edited)
#31 · (Edited)
Now what I came upto:
obviously all the high-voltage systems do cost !

I have following price quotes so far respectively (not yet Piktronik - but I guess they can´t do magic-prices either!):
  • Unitek Bamocar D3 for Eur 3.400,-only sold to OEM, from Turn-E (Munich) Eur 4.400,-
  • tritium wavesculptor200 for Eur 4.700,- (AU$ 6.000) NO CE-Mark!
  • EVE quantum330 for Eur 5.900,-
  • Paragon MoDrive40 for ca. Eur 7.000,-
  • Sevcon Gen4 size 8 for ca. Eur 7.000,-
  • Mes Dea Tim 600 for ca. Eur 7.000,-
  • Rinehart PM100DX for Eur 7.200,- (US$9.500)
  • Brusa DMC 524 AC Eur 19.200,- !
all prices excluding taxes & shipping

I haven`t heard of anybody to succeed in getting an Unitek Bamocar D3 yet, except for student race teams though!
All the others fall (more or less) in the same price range, except for the Wavesculptor200 - but TÜV, etc might be complicated and cost intensive (EMV) here, as I know from people who used it!
Better try to get a Bamocar D3, if you can get your hands on it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.