DIY Electric Car Forums banner

The official site suggestions thread

153K views 163 replies 49 participants last post by  Caps18 
#1 · (Edited)
Can we start a suggestions section? I don't mean to be too presumptuous. I know I just got on this board today, but it would be nice to have a suggestions section. :)

#124 ·
I'm sure the mods are very familiar with my crusade to report spam... since I get up so early and live in the EST zone I am usually the first person in the US to spot spammity spam.

So a lot of you slackers that get up late don't even see it, because I think one of the main spam assassin mods is is Australia (MattW).

Believe me, though, there is usually one or two new spam posts in each subforum every morning.

JRP3 - you make a good point about the limiting the ability to link. But there is a way around that, just type the web address out manually rather than use the "embed link" function. People have to copy-n-paste the address into a browser tab if they want to follow it but that's no hardship for the first 10 posts, and it would totally flummox the spambots.

#126 ·
JRP3 - you make a good point about the limiting the ability to link. But there is a way around that, just type the web address out manually rather than use the "embed link" function. People have to copy-n-paste the address into a browser tab if they want to follow it but that's no hardship for the first 10 posts, and it would totally flummox the spambots.
True, I guess it depends on how aggressive the forum is setup to block links. One forum made it so difficult that anything with www, /, or any other typical url stuff wouldn't show up. It was particularly frustrating because I didn't realize what was going on with my posts as I'd never come across that feature.

#129 · (Edited)
Well, I'd typed up a nice reply, but the forum software apparently has a bug in it where if you are typing up a reply and then submit it *after* someone else has submitted a reply that was not there when you started yours, it deletes all of your post out of the text box, and tells you:
"The following errors occurred with your submission:
1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

If you didn't copy and paste right before submitting, or have previously typed it up in a separate text editor (like notepad) which is what I USUALLY do, then it is now GONE permanently. :(

There may be other conditions to the bug to cause it, but this is the one I've observed the 2 times it has happened to me so far.

EDIT: 3 times, it just happened AGAIN trying to submit this, but I copied/pasted before submitting, so the post was safe).

EDIT: there are definitely other conditions, because now I can't post a reply to this thread AT ALL even after logging out and back in, refreshing page, closing browser, clearing caches, etc., repeatedly and in different orders. :(

EDIT: Now, I finally managed to post this, after several hours away from the computer, but not using my normal Firefox 2.0.0.13 browser, but rather with IE6 (using IEinTab inside Firefox). I still can't use Firefox to post or reply to anything. :(

The first time I lost the post to the bug was a detailed reply to help someone with their project (the one with the recycled laptop battery packs to put on an ebike), but I had no time to recreate it then, and by the time I got home from work half a day later I didnt' remember enough of it to try again.
________
Vaporizer

#131 · (Edited)
Well, it's definitely a Vbulletin software issue, as a search for the error message finds a lot of reports of the problem, including this one on the Jelsoft forums themselves: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-143403.html
Most of the posts are old, there, but I expect that if I searched their full forum (instead of just the google general search) I'd find more threads about it that include more recent reports of it.

At least back then, it had something to do with the WSIWYG editor, and changing to Standard editor fixed it, but I haven't tested that here (if there is an option).

EDIT: and I couldn't post this from Firefox, had to do it from IEinTab in FF.
________
Laguna Beach Resort Jometien Condos

#135 · (Edited)
Well, I thought it might just be that, but I got it in IE6 on my laptop (usually I do things from my desktop) when I was trying stuff earlier, but I didn't have time to pursue it then (had to get to work), and it's not happening now. The laptop has no security software on it at all, and default settings for IE6, with no plugins installed at all in IE, and no FF. It's just used for testing things on the network/internet. So at least I know it is not just a FF thing, nor is it something in security settings to block scripts/etc.

When it happened both in this thread yesterday and in the one earlier today, I could see that there was a new post by someone else between the time I hit quote to bring up the reply page, and the time I actually submitted the reply and got the error.

I can't remember if there was a new post in the other thread I was trying to help in before.

The only other thing common to all was that when it *started*, I was trying to quote someone, although that was not part of the problem when I tried to do post new things or replies afterward, once it "broke completely" (until changing to Standard editor).

The intermittent nature of the problem means that there must be some specific conditions to trigger the bug, so most people probably do not see it, but it is still a bug in the software if it is not accepting the text submitted in the form, regardless of the conditions that trigger it.

As has been noted elsewhere in the many threads about this issue on various forums, no specific browser or OS is required to cause the problem, so there must be specific conditions in the Vbulletin software that create the issue, though I still do not know what the root cause itself actually is, or the exact conditions that cause it.

Once the problem is triggered, it appears to persist for some, but not for others. Some people can get around it by creating a whole new username for a board that won't accept posts from their original username, implying that something is created locally on their system to persist data for that board/username, which is not kept in cookies or cache (because clearing those does not fix it for everyone (did not for me).

When the problem occurs in FF, the .mozilla file (which I need to research the contents of) can be deleted to fix the problem for some people (did not for me, though I simply moved the file to a USB thumbdrive and unplugged it, rather than deleting it, then moved it back when it did not change anything).

For some people, setting the editor to Standard from WSIWYG (the default on most Vbulletin forums) fixes the problem, but for others it must first be set to Basic and *then* Standard. That probably depends on which version of Vbulletin is running, I suspect. But in either case, changing back to WSIWYG still doesn't let me post--I have to leave it in Standard.
________
VAPORIZER VULCANO

#139 ·
I got a request... there have been posts asking about "mes-dea" inverters and the "d&d es-31b" motor. Before chastising the posters for their laziness, I tried doing a search on the relevant terms - "mes-dea", "es-31b", even "d&d es-31b" and each time got "sorry, no results" for an answer.

I know that some forums restrict the minimum search query to more than 3 letters, but that doesn't seem to apply here.

Bug, overzealous search restrictions? Dunno, just wanted to point it out.

#152 ·
Whats the word on getting a forum for builds that aren't a bike/cycle and aren't a car.

In other words, lawn mowers, tractors, golf carts, ATV's, go-carts etc.

All these builds seem to have much more in common with each other than they do with bikes/cycles and cars. In terms of batteries chosen/used, run times, controllers, motor sizes etc.

Im working on a riding mower conversion now and having a hard time finding good threads that detail parts used, motors, controllers, throttle setups etc

#153 ·
Question for the admins....

Would it be possible to increase the limit for the number of PMs allowed?

They don't exactly use that much storage space.

I don't like deleting things and I cant see an easy way to pull them off the site?

Cheers,

Mike

#156 ·
Hi Ziggy,

I get a ton of questions about my conversion, other uk/eu members seeking advice/ asking about suppliers and a few regarding Sinopoly cells.

PMs are available to all forum members. I'd rather my email and IM weren't public for spam reasons.

200 messages (inbox and outbox) isn't really that many!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.