DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Downsized full hybrid

885 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ioana 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask for your ideas on a university project on electric propulsion I'm currently working on (Vienna University of Economics and Business).

We want to develop a 'downsized' full hybrid propulsion that allows cars to drive electrically for short distances (around 3 miles) at low speeds (10 kph). In addition to this we want to use the braking energy for recuperation and have a start/stop function. The reason behind this development is that many European cities want to implement zero emission zones, where cars with internal combustion engines are excluded from traffic. By building cars that can go electrically over short distances and at low speeds, drivers wouldn't have to switch their mode of transportation if they want to enter these zones.

We already thought of a couple of ways how this downsized hybrid could look like. We could either have an in-wheel electric motor, a small electric motor that propels the dead axle, or an electric motor that is a part of the drivetrain (similar to mild hybrid cars). There might be other ways to build such a system, but having a motor that doesn't need a connection to the drivetrain might have some cost benefits.

I found some interesting threads in this forum, especially on electric conversion, and I was wondering what you think of such a system. Can you think of any other ways how short distance-low speed electric drive could be made possible without excessive additional costs?

Would be great to get some insights from you.

/Ioana

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.