DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Hpevs

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  HPEVS 
#1 ·
Well I'll be...HPEVS finally got around to putting up a new website. Quiite a bit of new info. Same address as before http://www.hpevs.com. It has photos of the Scion conversion using the new nominal 144V Curtis controller (max 175V) and new AC51 motor (rewound AC50).

#4 ·
Tomofreno I tried to get the hpev site earlier today with no luck and when I saw your post I tried again several times and when it finally loaded got a notice that they are still under construction. You must have hit it just right to get on when they were testing or something. Will keep trying as I have been waiting to see what they have come up with on the 144 volt AC 50 and 51.

#9 ·
Hi folks, My name is Sean and I work for HPEVS. Just wanted to come on and reply to the thread about the website. We had a few bumps in getting things settled out, but it seems to be okay since last night. We will be adding more features to the site plus a bunch of more information for everyone to use; including more performance data. We are in the process of building our own motor dyno to test each motor/controller configuration that we offer, so stayed tuned as we will be getting that information posted ASAP!!

I apologize for the earlier bumps in the road with the website, but hopefully we will be smooth sailing from here on out. We built the site as an information page, so as soon as more information is available, we will post it. We will be posting via facebook and twitter as well.

Hope that the information on the site now and for the future is helpful. Please feel free to give us feedback as well.

Thanks for your support,

Sean

#11 ·
Welcome Sean. Good to see the new website up with much more info on products. Even better to see an HPEVS person show up here. Like JRP3 said, be prepared for lots of questions. One of the first will likely be why not 650A on the new Curtis 144V controller (though it isn't under HPEVS control), as many feel it is not enough torque and power for a 3000 lb car. Seems many here want sub 12 second 0 to 60 mph time, or even better less than 10 sec.

I would mainly like to see torque-speed and power curves for the newer motors, AC51, AC75, and specs like rated constant power, max voltage...

There is a thread for HPEVS motors under the Electric Motors Forum. The last page in it as of today is here:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/hpg-ac30-31-50-owners-thread-34853p49.html

#13 ·
Good morning and thanks for the welcome!

I appreciate the chance to answer questions, and I will do my best to answer them as quick as possible.

JRP3 is correct about components availability. At this stage, Curtis went with the 550A at 144V because of the fact that currently they do not have a MOSFET that can produce the higher amperage at the 144V level. But if you look at how things have progressed with the development of anything electrical, I would believe that we would see improvements over time.

In response to wanting the sup 12 second car, I understand the need, we all want to go fast, but remember that there are so many variables to how an EV will react off the line. Battery conditions, surrounding environment (cold or hot), weight of the vehicle, gear ratios, the condition of the drivetrain. Any EV will give you different responses based on the surrounding temperature. Take a vehicle to a cold weather state and it would drive differently compared to let's say Arizona.

Currently, we have converted a Scion Xb (which is on our website, unsolicited plug :D)which has been driven over 2000 miles since the conversion. This vehicle is one of our test beds. This vehicle after conversion sits at 3400 lbs curb weight! It has the AC 51 motor installed with the 144V controller, and I can tell you from experience that it moves butt. I talked to Brian this morning about trap times, and he is going to program a stop trap bit for the Scion so that we can give out some data on time based on speed, but again, it is based on a whole bunch of surrounding conditions so your experience might be different then what we would publish.

What we sell is reliability, but also driveability. We have had many customers and vendors come by and mentioned that after they drove the vehicle that they did not know that it was electric.

Remember, we are building our own motor dyno for which we will be characterizing all of our motors that we sell. We will be updating our website and social media with updates on the status of this project, so stay tuned.

As an additional thought, the "AC-75" is still in developmental stage. We have a lot of work that needs to be done to characterize this motor. As we move forward, we will have a better feel for what this motor will be capable of, but again, it is still in developmental stage. Stay tuned!

Thanks for your time and have a great day,

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.