DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Warning about LionEV

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  joseph3354 
#1 · (Edited)
I had high hopes for this fresh startup with claims of a 400 mile range ford ranger conversion as well as plans to sell a conversion kit, but in light of recent events as heard through this website from other members, it should be known that LionEV is not a company that can or should be trusted. I hope that we can use this thread to keep others informed about what has happened to date in this affair, and I welcome all information from all sides that may shed some light on what is going on with LionEV or LionEVs customers that may have been wronged.

I'll post updates as time permits, in the mean time if anyone would like to start off, than by all means let the EV community know what has happened to date with LionEV and its founder Ken Curry.

#6 ·
This thread was set up because LionEVs reputation has been called into question, in part by rumors, but also by members that have had direct and indirect experience with this company and its affiliates (like cloud electric). If you know something, than please let us know because getting a strait answer from LionEV is virtually impossible as others, including autoblog green have discovered. What we do know is that its founder has served prison time in the past for fraud, and that the ranger conversions done to date by lionEV were done out of house by what is by all accounts a reputable performance/hot rod shop that also happens to do the odd EV conversion as well. So why go to LionEV? The "dealers" are often simply drop shippers that work out of their homes. So amyone that has room for a nother vehicle in their driveway could be a dealer. This explains why we have not seen any real dealerships advertising fo LionEV, because there are in fact just private individuals. Its possible that many of them got burned as well.

The photographs on the website never show any of the people behind LionEV either. What IS shown are often ripped off from other websites and to date the home office of lionEV is not shown. The address of LionEV is a private residence, and the lionEV "factory" simply does not exist.

More to your point, frodus, I do not have any direct experience with LionEV aside from Emails that go unanswered when I get specific with questions. But since I - like other members here - have often discussed LionEV as a possible source for turnkey EVs, I feel I have a responsibility to share information (which is not always easy to substantiate) that may help other EV enthusiasts avoid getting burned. If you think this is gossip, that is your choice to make, but at least you have the knowledge before hand. I for one will not trust lionEV in light of what has happened to date.

Thanks for the link, joseph3354:) If anyone else has info about LionEV please post it so others can make a better decision before buying.

#8 ·
I guess in due time we will either hear about its success on TV, see an AD for the sale of this vehicle or perhaps the headlines will read, LionEV owners arrested for fraud. haha

#9 ·
If indeed Ken Curry has been sentenced to 24 months in prison than we may see this unfold in some of the headlines. But in reality this is small fry on the national news radar. I can't help but feel saddened by how things are shaping up. The electric car is being transformed into vaporware by incidents like this.

#10 ·
Given the amount of $$ involved, perhaps this thread should be stickied?

#12 ·
Thanks for posting that, willitwork.

Did you get a refund for the items you returned?

#15 ·
#17 ·
this is just an observation,but it seems that cloud and beepscom partnered with lionev to get batteries.it seems that niether cloud nor beepscom had the lifepo batteries until lionev posted that they were buying 4200 batteries in a bulk buy,then there were links to beepscom on lionev's site and cloud start listing the lifepos.best price at the time for 4200 lifepo batteries was about 500k from thundersky.i don't think lionev could come up with that much on their own and had to find partners to do it.again this is just an observation. anyone with better info please post.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.