DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Hybrid Highlander Conversion

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  vrod 
#1 ·
What would it take to convert a hybrid highlander to full EV (i.e. remove the ICE and reuse the electric motors and transmission...add batteries and controller)?

Thought the electric motors were larger than the one in the RAV4EV to drive the generator to charge the batteries.

Cost prohibitive?

#2 · (Edited)
I'm assuming you mean this vehicle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Highlander

It, like all other Hybrids probably uses an undersized electric motor and controller.

This means you'd either have to add a second motor and controller system.
Or replace the motor/controller inside the Highlander for higher power ones that can handle highway driving.

The batteries included in the Highlander are probably not usable because you'd have to either completely disassemble the battery pack or rebuild it into a bigger battery pack or toss it and build a new pack.

The batteries are also most likely NiMH cells.

It would probably be more costly to do this than to start with a cheap used ICE version and convert that in an ideal way.

#3 ·
RAV4 EV motor is a 50kw.

The 4wd Hybrid Highlander has two motors...a 123kw (in front) and a 50kw (in rear).

I don't think the motors are undersized...just the 123kw motor is doing more work by turning a generator to charge the on-board batteries and starting the ICE.

The max speed under EV mode is around 30mph.

Is that the software governing the speed?

What if we install another motor controller, more batteries (such as LiFePo4) and eventually removing the ICE...would this work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.