DIY Electric Car Forums banner

TTXGP Infineon Race 2012

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  major 
#1 · (Edited)
Race was held May 6, 2012. Team Lightning fielded 2 electric motorcycles. Our 2011 chassis. #80 with Michael Barnes and #89 with Tim Hunt. 8 lap race Sunday morning won by Barnes on #80. 9 lap race Sunday afternoon won by Hunt on #89. Barnes should have new track record for electric at or around 1:47. Waiting for official times. Barnes also ran the Harley XR1200 in a race that day and won it with comparable lap times.

Good race results for Lightning, Barnes and Hunt (and major also :)). Hopefully I can post more later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaJ4MXPqP0

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Jozz,

Yep zero Zeros in that pic ;) Here's a few more from my camera.

Here's the podium after the morning race. 2 Lightnings 1st & 2nd in the TTXGP Class and 2 Zeros 1st & 2nd in the eSuperstock Spec Class.

Our paddock with bikes on charge.

We did win both races. But it was a challenging event for us. Both #80 and #89 had some issues. However it was worse for the Brammo Icon Team. They are defending NA TTXGP champions with Steve Atlas the pilot from last year. They claimed improved power and lower weight this season. Steve ran a couple pretty fast laps in the first practice on Friday. But then took a nasty highside spill. Busted up the bike and himself as well with injuries to his back and ribs.

Steve went to the hospital and was released later. Brammo took the bike off site for repairs. They returned Saturday just before qualifying and put Steve Rapp on the repaired bike. Rapp was competing on gassers at the event and was the pilot for Mission at Laguna Seca with their stellar performance last year. So he knew electric, but was his first time on the Brammo as far as I know. Rapp pushed the bike hard and logged a 1:57.133 on his 2nd lap. But the repaired bike threw him off just a lap or so later breaking his wrist. So Brammo and the 2 Steves packed it in for the weekend.

Lightning #80 came close to throwing Barnes over the top when a fastener failed during practice and caused the chain to lock the rear wheel at speed. Fortunately Barney saved it. Thanks dude. However our repair for him was less than perfect and another fastener problem caused a loose sprocket and a DNF in race 2.

Lightning #89 experienced electrical glitches giving us headaches. It sat Hunt on the side of the track for several laps in race 1. Also kept us busy chasing electric bugs right up to race 2. Changed the twist grip throttle like 30 minutes before grid call. Good enough ;)

Race control also had glitches. Transponder trouble on our bikes. They did clock Barnes at 1:47.553 manually for the pole position.* I think that is 8 seconds faster than Brammo's record from last year.

So aside from a few problems, the Lightning bikes ran strong.

major

edit*....The video has Barnes qualifying at 1:43.553.

Attachments

#6 ·
Nice layout Major. Congrats on the achievement. Great pictures. That video was amazing! I found myself tilting my head back and forth with the corner leans... wow. What speeds do they hit on the straight aways???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.