DIY Electric Car Forums banner

General Electric motor - any information?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  fast_eddie_72 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Hope I'm not over doing it with questions here right off the bat. I've jumped in with both feet I'm affraid and moving quickly toward being in over my head.

I bought a used motor and controler today. Can't find any information on the motor. It's a General Electric. The tag reads:

MOD 5BC 49 JB 802 RPM 4700
HP 11.6 V 64 A 160
TIME RATING 60 Min AMB TEMP 40 C INS CLASS F
WOUND Series FR 49 GEJ 3122
SPECIAL PURPOSE FORCE COOLED
SERIAL NO BVN

The seller told me it was in a Ranger Truck conversion that his father in law built and it worked well. And really, that's all I know about it.

Any information is helpful, but really, I just want to know if this is appropriate for a small car EV build.

Take care,

Ed

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Well, tj4fa did some detective work and got a good deal of information on the history of this motor:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/does-seem-like-good-deal-24408.html

There are pictures in that thread as well.

I've got a few feelers out to see if someone needs it for a ComutaVan restoration. But I'd be interested in it's usefullness for the project I have planned.

By the very battered and inaccurate bathroom scale, it's about 70 lbs. give or take. It's 12 1/4" long and 7" in diameter. The shaft is keyed, looks like maybe 7/8" and extends 1 1/4" from the end of the motor.

I've been looking at available new motors and trying to find something similar. Is this maybe kinda comperable to a D&D ES-15A?

http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com/product_p/mo-es-15a-6.htm

I'm just thinking if I can find something similar I can use that as a gauge as to what I might be able to use this in successfully.

I did get the catalog and primer from EV-America. They said that you should have at least 6 HP per 1000lbs finished vehicle weight. That seems to put this motor on the very, very small side. I think it would be difficult to come up with a finished vehicle under 2000 lbs. even if I go with something like a Ford Festiva.

Take care,

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.