DIY Electric Car Forums banner

80kW motor&controller package on Sale

22K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  evjunky 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Hey Chris, can you post that picture showing the motor attached to the transmission? I seem to have misplaced it. Is that the 80kW motor on that picture? What vehicle is that transmission for?

Do you have a power curve showing RPM vs HP (or KW) for this motor?

Regards,
JR

#3 ·
This seems like a good deal, but I'm having trouble finding specs on our website for this motor and controller. The controller page I've found but the spec chart does not include the 100kVA model.

I was hoping to find some detail including mechanical dimensions of the motor, torque curves, and all the min/max details.. for the controller as well.

#6 ·
Hi. I'll let Chris comment but I asked him to post the picture to show the excellent machining work in making the plate. He might sell those separately, however.

This motor is 11" in diameter which is a tad large for my donor car. However, forum member azdeltawye documented how it fit his 11" DC motor in a Jetta (similar to my car) by notching off some of the motor's face plate so that's encouraging. The thought of 80kW peak power is way too temping to not try...

JR

#9 ·
Hey Naiche, I'll tell you what I know and let Chris jump in. They are located in China. The controller can be field programmed which seems to indicate they will update the microcode from time to time to fix bugs and improve features (hopefully). They have several packages from 37kW to 120kW that I've seen specs for so far.

On my last exchange with Chris, he mentioned being slammed with work and hence might be slow in responding. Dave Kois from Current EV Tech in WA also has a similar package at a slightly higher price.

JR

#15 ·
Hi. One year seems like not enough warranty time but these days that's pretty much what you get for everything; sometimes 90 days is all you get. When compared to a standard car warranty, where the drive system is covered by 4 or 5 years, this does seem low. But you really pay for that additional insurance when you buy the whole car. And if you buy the car used, 30 days. Yep.

The AC Propulsion 150KW and $30K system also carries a 1 year limited warranty. The one now posted on eBay says "warranty: no" :)

JR

#17 ·
Dear meanderingthemaze,
Thanks for your commends. 1 year warranty is our general offer, the motor we promise 3 year cause there are few quality problem about it.
But the controller is electronic products, its stability depends on the IGBT
components, if you require longer warranty is no problem but need a few addition price.I think it is reasonable for this.

#19 ·
Hi,chris.

I am interested in the BLDC motors but my location is in Malaysia.

And,what is the maximum weight of the car that this motor can carry?
thanks for inquiry, We can ship this motor package to your location by
air or by sea. this motor can drive 1200kg~2000kg vehicle. how is your
conversion detail?

#23 ·
Does anybody had any experience from purchasing any item from lowcarbon idea? Is the delivery service efficient and is it reliable?
This is because I have been hearing that there is some suspicions on their services and product reliability.. so i'm trying to verify it to know whether it is true or not.. Do anybody know?
Do reply soonest, thanks!

#24 ·
I know BLDC motor is a brand new concept for US market, maybe seldom
person here have use this system, but it is the hot trend to be the best replacement of series wound brushed or induction motor.Hence, If you are trying the first one to have a try, you will be earlier enjoy the surprise.
In addtion, the shipping is very convenient. by air or by sea is availabe.

#25 ·
I am currently doing a research on the BLDC motor and controller and it is the most preferred option in the modern world nowdays..seems that the only way I can contact you is thru mail. Is there any other possible way that I can contact the company or the least, a contact number? That would be much more convienient as I have visited your website and it seems there is no contact number available.

#28 ·
I am currently doing a research on the BLDC motor and controller and it is the most preferred option in the modern world nowdays
Except of course for the most powerful production EV in the world, the Tesla Roadster, which uses AC induction ;) Frankly with the increasing price of rare earth metals and permanent magnets, and a possible shortage thereof, I'd say long term BLDC may not have much of a future. Nothing against existing products of course, but AC induction has no such limitations.

#27 · (Edited)
Speaking about your PWM controller, I assume it might be working with other PMSM/BLDC motors out there. So, do you provide some user interface setup/programming/monitoring tool, also usefull just for tweaking parameters even with your recommended motor I guess, or is this possibility to setup this controller confined only to your factory beforehand? And if there is such software application available, is it for extra cost, or incl. in the price? Thanks

ps would it be possible some time along the road produce a bit more informative manual, I've seen the only available one, presumably for the top model, and it's just few pages? For example, there is a diagram/photo, but no detailed explanation for the control port, like regen, pedal etc. It could be a bit more informative document from the perspective of self-installing person. Perhaps as for inspiration, pls. look at your competition here:
http://www.lowcarbon-idea.com/files/PDF/120kW%20BLDC%20controller%20manual.pdf
http://www.tritium.com.au/products/TRI74/TRI74.021v1_Users_Manual.pdf

--

Another question, what I found burried under a pedal section?, there seems to be a webpage indicating, you are also working on inverters for AC induction motors, right? What would be the aprox. price range for the first liquid cooled model and first model with manual regen (150-250kVA) and estimated start of production date?
http://www.lowcarbon-idea.com/products/DC-AC inverter.html

#29 ·
We can provide you CAN interface for monitoring.
Regarding the more detail information about the controller, cause every controller selled to customer is individuation and customized. Hence, we will provide you detail user manual when the ordered controller finished.
AC induction motor is OK, but the weight is too heavy if the power increase. So it is not the ideal type of motor apply on EV. BLDC motor is the favorable type of replacement of vary type of motor apply on EV.

#30 ·
AC induction motor is OK, but the weight is too heavy if the power increase. So it is not the ideal type of motor apply on EV. BLDC motor is the favorable type of replacement of vary type of motor apply on EV.
Hello Mr. lowcarb,

You are not just saying that because that is what you sell, are you?

Except of course for the most powerful production EV in the world, the Tesla Roadster, which uses AC induction.
Mr. lowcarb,

Do you know what a Tesla Roadster is? Do you claim your BLDC has a greater power density than the induction motor used in the Tesla Roadster?

Regards,

major

#32 ·
Hi. Chris will ultimately have to answer your questions but as I understood it, he's not selling a denser package than Tesla's. He's selling a water cooled 80kW peak system that includes a controller and motor shipped air to USA for $4,132. I guess his has much better "cost" density, wouldn't you say?

JR

#34 ·
Hi. Chris will ultimately have to answer your questions but as I understood it, he's not selling a denser package than Tesla's. He's selling a water cooled 80kW peak system that includes a controller and motor shipped air to USA for $4,132. I guess his has much better "cost" density, wouldn't you say?

JR
Certainly, but he doesn't help his case by putting out blatantly inaccurate statements about the technology. Makes one question the accuracy of his other claims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.