DIY Electric Car Forums banner

HPG AC30/31/50 owners thread

133K views 489 replies 47 participants last post by  Coulomb 
#1 ·
Since there are now a few of us using the AC/30/31/50 motors I thought it might be helpful to have a thread to discuss how people are wiring and mounting them in various applications and what additional components are being used with them, contactors, DC/DC's, fuses, etc.
I'm using a Kilovac LEV200 A5NAA contactor I got from HPG, I still need a fuse that I may integrate into an emergency disconnect, and I still need a throttle, (I may make my own since I think the PB6 is overpriced).

Did anyone else get a wire sticking out of their connector like this?

It can be tapped into the large red wire to make the proper connection. Don't know if this was a mistake or they are all like this.

See less See more
#470 · (Edited)
I assume so, since they said earlier it looked like 500A for now. I don't think it is "great" news. Great news to me would be that they decided to up the max current to 650A, or they decided to go with 600A and max 200V. Good news would be that they max current would be 550A. The main advantage I see is that I could add 13 more cells to increase my range by around 30-35%, but I am reluctant to give up 10% bottom end torque to achieve that. Their are now some J1772 chargers at a couple points about 40 - 50 miles distant, so with the new controller and valerun's 10kW charger I could extend the distance I can reach quite a bit if I stop for a 1 hr charge.

#472 ·
Hello everyone. I have finally joined this site after months of studying, so thanks very much for all the info even though you did not know i was here... I have a 98 Metro hatchback that i am converting. I got a good deal on an ac35 kit and have the motor in now. Had to get a pair of automatic axles and fab some mounts to move the manual tranny tranny over 4.5 inches so it would fit right. Already have 34 gbs 200ah third gen batteries. Could you guys tell me if my 550current amp. Controller has the ability to talk to a mimod? Also any ideas for bms that would work with a mimod. I am interested in instrumentation and have to see everything... thanks again for the months (years?) of info prior to me joining.

#479 · (Edited)
Looks like August/2012 for production units of the Curtis 144V controller. Max V is 175V, so about 49-50 cells max. The AC-51 is an AC50 rewound for the higher voltage controller.

Peak power is of course limited by the 500A/144V controller. Figure maybe 145V sagged pack V with 49 180Ah cells at 500A discharge current (2.8C), for about 97 H.P. peak, and peak motor shaft power about 80% of that, or about 78 H.P.

HPEVS say they are using 47 180 ah cells in the Scion and getting peak torque of 110 ft-lb, peak 78 H.P., and 80 miles on a charge. They didn't say at what average speed. Based on the above, peak torque should be available up to about 3700 rpm.

The AC50 with the 144V controller should have peak torque of a bit over 80 ft-lb available up to about 5200 rpm, and about the same peak shaft power.

The AC31 should have about 106 ft-lb peak torque available up to about 2900 rpm, and about 58 HP peak shaft power with the 144V controller.

Nothing here to interest people who want sub 10 sec 0 to 60 mph, unless they plan on a vehicle well under 2000 lb.

Edit: Hmmm, it looks like my Swift with 49 cells, total weight of a bit over 2400 lb, and AC51 and 144V controller would do 0 to 60 mph in about 11.6 seconds (2 shifts, 1 sec per shift). Range would be about 95 miles at 55 mph.

#482 ·
#485 ·
I like the 175v max. Seems that I could get about a 20kwh pack if the 130Ah cells were still around. 50 cells at 100Ah would be about 16kwh, a bit on the small side for what I'm trying to convert and with 180Ah cells I'd be in the territory for the AC50 with the 650amp controller that has a 130v max. Hmm. I'd have strong consideration if I had the room and weight capacity for a pack larger than about 20kwh but it seems I'd have to roll with 60Ah cells paralleled and I'm trying to avoid pairing cells. If I built a car with this, I'd buy some nano-tech lipo cells for the 'Rickard 1/4 mile track day', it would take off at a decently quick rate at sub-2000 pounds converted with those light things inside(figuring it was only temporarily fitted with the capacity needed to make a few runs).

#486 ·
Finally, into my conversion of 1969 VW Bug far enough to start looking at motor/controller. I went ahead and made the plunge for transmission adapter with the unit from RebirthAuto designed for air cooled VW Bug. A

How are the AC50/Curtis AC Motor Controller 1238-6501 holding up? I see one on ebay that is asking $1200 for Controller and wiring harness that seems like a good deal. Tempted to forge ahead.

#487 ·
HPEVS has programmed the firmware specifically, so just make sure you know what you're getting into if you get something off ebay.

If you do buy it, let me know... might have a motor (AC31) coming into my ownership within a week, or we could order an AC50 for it.

#489 ·
Yes, but if he gets the 1238-6501 controller off of ebay, he could still use it with an AC50, it'll just be a little underpowered..... peak torque would be the same as a 7501 though, it'll just push the torque curve out further if you use the 7501 and higher voltage. IMHO the 7601 is the way to go for an AC50, unless he wants to wait for the new 144V controller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.