DIY Electric Car Forums banner

03 Ranger with Solectria AC55 and LiFePo4

39K views 88 replies 13 participants last post by  TEV 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody,
I am converting a 2003 Ford Ranger using Solectria AC55 motor and UMOC440TF controller.
Batteries are 100 pcs Calb 100Ah LiFePo4.

#2 ·
I started backward and did the battery pack first, to be able to charge and balance the batteries.
The batteries will be located in the truck bed.
And now some pictures, because a picture it’s worth a thousand words.

Attachments

#3 ·
Clutchless adapter

Attachments

#4 ·
The Ranger ODO it's showing 247000 Miles and the automatic transmission it's bad.

I got a manual transmission from Craigslist.

Today i finished another phase of my project : The engine and transmission are out :)

I left the AC system in place, my intentions are to run it from a separate 3HP 3 Phase industrial motor.

Attachments

#9 ·
Your observation it's pertinent, but you have to consider that they are not making a sealed contact and gas or liquid will have enough room to get out ( hopefully it won't be necessary )

#12 ·
A little progress :

Attachments

#13 ·
The bad news : the original drive shaft ( for the automatic transmission ) is to short for the manual transmission.
The good news : i find a used one out of a 2006 Ranger.
The bad news : an extra $110 unscheduled investment.

#16 · (Edited)
I am far from finishing the project ,but i couldn't help not to try a test drive. To do so I temporarily installed the controller and run some wires.

The 1st start was in 2nd gear and the 2nd start was in 4th gear( which is suppose to be like a direct drive )

Test drive:

#20 ·
From eBay : $110 for the inlet ( 1' cord @ 75A ) and $125+$10 for the plug (15' cord @ 40A ) I considered that it was a good deal .

I don't know of any public charging stations in Cleveland, Ohio, maybe in the future.

I just like the look of it.

#21 ·
Slow, but progress :

Attachments

#23 ·
The current was under 100A as measured by the BMS , I forgot to get a reading with my clamp on meter, if the < 100A was real , that would be only 1C for city speeds and my batteries should be very happy.
The AC55 is rated for a continuous power of 34KW and a peak of 78KW (@312VDC).
34000W / 320V = 106.25A so it's appear that the <100A reading was correct.

I did weighted the car before the conversion, and after I finish and all the components are installed I would get the weight again.

#25 ·
The aluminum plate is drilled and bolted, now i can plan the parts arrangement :

Attachments

#26 ·
The electric power steering pump have to be installed next :

Attachments

#30 · (Edited)
I've used some at work, not many. Also,my buddy owns a hydraulic hose shop. Google diy hydraulic hose fittings. They were also featured on an episode of Extreme 4x4.
Looks like this. One threads over the hose, reverse thread. The other, you dip in oil and thread in. I beleive they are called Field attachable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.