10kW / 60A DIY charger open source design - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Batteries and Charging

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 10:43 PM

valerun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 10kW / 60A DIY charger open source design

Hi All,

[Update 07/01/13]: We have improved the design over the last few months, with beefier PCBs, better drive circuits etc. As a result, this is now a 12kW / 70A charger for under $1,000! Also, we now have an option for 100A output! Finally, a custom enclosure is now an option - professionally machined and powder-coated in awesome black matte finish to show off your charger. As always, you can get more info on the latest specs / build videos / etc at http://www.emotorwerks.com/tech/electronics. Now there are over 100 of these out there!

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

Over the last few months, my team has developed a 10kW / 60A charger design that exceeds all known chargers available on the market today (that you can put into a vehicle, anyway) - both in power and features. We just hated to pay $4000 to be able to charge our conversions in less than 5 hours...

An incomplete run-down of the capabilities:
* 10kW rated power - tested to 15kW continuous with liquid cooling
* 110 / 220VAC, up to 400VDC input
* up to 350VDC battery voltage (up to 425V with very minor modifications)
* fully PF corrected option available
* 144x144 color screen for controls & readout
* Output power control
* All battery types supported with micro-processor controlled charging regimes
* Integration features - BMS cut-off, End-of-charge signal
* Thermal protection
* Timer shutoff
* Compact design - latest units are packed into a 12x11x8-inch box (air cooled) or 10x8x7" for liquid-cooled
* User-programmable through a USB cable

We have made design fully open-source and available to all. So if you are so inclined, you can make it yourself for ~$900 all-in (including all the heatsinks, enclosure, etc, etc.).

So far (May 2011), we have made and installed 4 complete units and helped ~10 people to make their own builds. Our first unit was installed into the Fiat Conversion described at http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...der-51822.html. It is charging our 110AH 200V LiFePo4 pack at 50A in ~2.5 hours. Max current tested is 65A at lower voltages (tested up to ~100V, I would imagine this would hold up to 144V or so).

Update (August 2012): about 20 complete units installed, ~40 made from kits.

If you like, we can help you with PCBs, parts kits, assembled / tested boards, and fully assembled units. Again, details are at http://emotorwerks.com/tech/electronics.

I hope that this effort will make EV conversions a bit more affordable to people and we will have a modest contribution to getting more EVs on the roads! Please consider supporting it by letting us help you with building out your units.

As always, we welcome feedback / suggestions / questions.

Thanks,
Valery.

Last edited by valerun; 08-02-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 AM

steven4601 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steven4601
Default Re: 10kW / 60A DIY charger open source design

Hi ,

I visted your website a day or two ago. Really nice conversion!

Also I was impressed by how small the inductor is your using for the buck regulator. 10kw , very little flux-swing?

On teh PFC issue which is quite substantial regarding the wattage. TI had a very nice application where they used a buck PFC!!! Very little added complexity is required.

Here's the link to their chip & design example
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/lit...8&fileType=pdf
Old 06-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven4601 View Post
Hi ,

I visted your website a day or two ago. Really nice conversion!

Also I was impressed by how small the inductor is your using for the buck regulator. 10kw , very little flux-swing?

On teh PFC issue which is quite substantial regarding the wattage. TI had a very nice application where they used a buck PFC!!! Very little added complexity is required.

Here's the link to their chip & design example
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/lit...8&fileType=pdf
Thanks Steven! Checked it out - really interesting given that the main problem with boost-type PFCs is very high peak switch & inductor currents. The only issue is that buck type can only be used for batteries up to ~200V while keeping PF above 0.9. Still, would cover most of the EV conversion batteries...

Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM

steven4601 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steven4601

Power electronics is fun.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:35 PM

1-ev.com is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: 10kW / 60A DIY charger open source design

Looks good, Thank you for the work...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Hi Guys - am starting developing PFC for this beast.

Will try the boost (again) BUT this time using rugged a 1200V 400A continuous IGBT instead of 2 wimpy 60A MOSFETS. I am thinking of using IR1153S chip - mostly because that's the only CCM PFC chip available from DigiKey that's switching at slower than 50-65kHz. Since I am using large IGBT, driving at anything higher than 32kHz is going to be too 'expensive' (power loss and beefy drive components - wise).

Anybody had any experience with these chips?

Will be designing the PCB now. Will use the 10A driver boards I have designed earlier. Should be able to do first tests within the next 10 days or so....

Thx!
Valery.

PS. Steve, I thought hard about your buck PFC chip suggestion and it's going to be tough to make that work in my application for 256V nominal battery - CV cutoff for that one is 284V so would be tough to use buck from 330V rectified...
Old 06-07-2011, 07:20 AM

DIYguy will become famous soon enoughDIYguy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DIYguy
Thumbs up Re: 10kW / 60A DIY charger open source design

Really nice work Valery and way to go for sharing and making this open source! This is the true spirit of DIY forum stuff!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:18 AM

dtbaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerun View Post
Over the last few months, my team has developed a 10kW / 60A charger design that exceeds all known chargers available on the market today

this is great, but wouldn't it require getting the power company to basically install a whole additional 100amp panel for service? That's a couple grand.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbaker View Post
this is great, but wouldn't it require getting the power company to basically install a whole additional 100amp panel for service? That's a couple grand.
not really. in my case, I just tapped into the 60A line that used to run my electric stove (long removed). If not existing 60A line, you can just install an additional 60A breaker into your existing panel and run off that. The minimum service level I've seen in California is 100A to residential house (in fact, most new houses tend to have 150A-200A main breaker) so should be fine even with everything else plugged in.

V
Old 06-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Administrator

ElectriCar is on a distinguished road

As an electrical contractor I can tell you that the 10Kw charger will be fine on most homes in the US which usually have at least a 100A service. Most people who can afford a lithium pack can afford a newer home with even larger services I would think.

The 25Kw unit will have more instances of tripped main breaker but for a 200A service on a normal size home it should be ok most of the time even on a total electric home. That one would be a good candidate for a 3 phase 208V service also, reducing the current draw to about 65-70A from 104.

I have a question about the precision of the voltage at the shutdown point. Ie if it's set for 170V, how much can it deviate from 170V? I may be a candidate for the 10Kw in a kit form so I can get more use of my truck.

Another question, what are the dimensions of the unit as I have mine behind the seat of my S10 which barely clears my Zivan NG5.

Share or Bookmark this