120 & 144 Volt AC Controller - Page 3 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Technical Discussion

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 AM

efan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 120 & 144 Volt AC Controller

have you looked at these controllers:

http://www.piktronik.com/index.php?o...mid=34&lang=en

perhaps one of them can fit your needs. I dont have any further information, so you would need to contact the company about price etc...if you do, dont forget to share it with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM

fb_bf is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry too much about the water cooling. I just finished converting a MG Midget, and I was intending to use air cooling for my Soliton Jr. controller. I didn't get the cooling I was expecting due to the tight conditions of fitting everything in a midget. I ended up buying a pump and radiator for CPU cooling. I couldn't even find room for the reservoir, so I didn't use one. The total cost for the components was probably $75 US. I haven't installed a fan yet because I could locate the radiator up front in the air flow. I have a description and pictures on my site, and if you have any questions please ask here or email me. It wasn't that hard, or that much time to put it in.

Frank Bernett -- '77 MG Midget, 19.6 Kwh LiFePo, Warp 9 Impulse, Soliton Jr., Elithion BMS
www.electricmgmidget.com
Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 AM

Peterhase is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I figured out that you might be right!

I just wondered because so many components now need water/liquid cooling: controller, engines, even batterie packs (dow kokam).
Obviously higher voltage systems (above 140-160Volt) develop a certain heat .
But I learned that several drivtrain systems allow to put the cooling in row (i.e. tm4, zytek), so that I would need only 1 radiator for ALL components, not 1 for each single component! This of course makes is easier and I could use the existing radiator.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:59 AM

arber333 is on a distinguished road

Hi Peterhase

I think i finished my conversion now and i am focusing on testing and driving now. The ACe5 is spectacular inverter once you figure it out.
I had to read about 3phase motors and parameters. But i got it now.

I set it up for two styles of driving.
First I have settings for showcase driving with 750A set to full power with dynamic response and low regen power. The power and acceleration is spectacular 0 - 100km/h is 7s!!! i can go beyond 150km/h and motor eats cca 70kW momentarily. However drain on the batteries is tough and also motor overheats quite fast this way.

Now i have it set up for normal driving at 700A. I have first 7% throttle on idle then moderate slope to 40% and strong slope till 100% throttle. The response is a bit slower now, but it is easier to hold at certain power on the highway. Regen is a bit smoother now. In this mode i drive straight at 110km/h with 130A and acceleration is cca 10s to 100km/h. Plenty enough for the little sports car MX3.

I also have torque software for ACe5 that was written for my motor 28kW and that is quite a bit different from Heikos basic torque software for 44kW motor.
If you are interested in ZAPI and the software i can send it to you with the settings for my motor. Heiko sells this kind of motor for 2300€ and i think it is well worth the money. Without it i would be stuck with 15kw Iskra AC motor, which is very good but too small for highway....

Arber
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Very good - sounds like the right layout for you.

I myself decided to get the E-Car-box from Germany company e-car-tech to avoid extensive cabling and to have most components in a sealed box with CE-approval.

The company is the European importer for curtis compoments so I have the curtis 1238-7601 controller with 650A (max) in the box.

Final wiring is done now be a new Austrian company ev-cars (ev-cars.at) and they also have experience with this Controller in combination with Heikos AC motor (they fitted an Audi A2 with just these components) - so the decision for the curtis was a mere practical one.

You can follow the works in my blog at www.tr6-electric.blogspot.com

Last edited by Peterhase; 06-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 AM

kennybobby will become famous soon enough

i don't know what's in that controller, but wonder if it matters on the length of the cables? and whether you could turn the connector box on the motor around toward the controller and shorten up that long cable run?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM

In the contoller-box is the curtis controller, DC/DC converter, fuses & a kilovac ev200 main contactor which will be operated from the controller / ignition switch.
See here http://www.electro-vehicles.eu/publi...pAC_Scheda.pdf
In future the E-Car box will also feature the curtis AC 120-144V controller to come.

Yes - we thought also of turning the connector box on top of the motor around but when fitting the front battery box we found that there is too little space left for the cables, after all it is just 20cm additional length and we have a lot of space left on the side towards the cabin & only little spaces towards the front of the car.
Maybe best would be to turn it to the side, but I don`t know yet if this is possible.

P.S. Concerning the title of this thread: we decided to only fit 108V which means 34 lifepo4 sinopoly 200Ah. They guy at ev-cars is of the opinion that this would stress the controller allready enough since it is designed only for 96V originally.
Moreover we could fit the 34 cells easily in the car with only 2 simple battery boxes without changes to the body and fitting the rear box in the postion of the former fuel tank (36 cells would have meant to fit them in the spare wheel compartment instead and make a whole new body construction here / lower the compartment, reposition a crossbar underneath, etc.).

Last edited by Peterhase; 06-04-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 AM

Roy Von Rogers is an unknown quantity at this point

Your putting the Curtis controller inside the box ???

What are you going to do about cooling the Curtis controller.

Roy
Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM

It`s a ready-made, extensivly tested & approved box. It has cooling fins / heatsink and also an optional small fan, see http://www.electro-vehicles.eu/publi...pAC_Scheda.pdf.
We positioned it in front of the car where formally the cooler sat, so the heatsink stands very well in the wind.

Btw, there are many boxes with controllers inside, called "magic boxes" - so this is nothing new.
It also helps to meet the TÜV reqiurements for EMC since the box shields against the electro-magnetic influence.

Last edited by Peterhase; 06-04-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 PM

Roy Von Rogers is an unknown quantity at this point

Just asked cause this controller is well known to cut back when getting hot.

Roy

Share or Bookmark this