Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Batteries and Charging

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2008, 10:08 PM

ifelder is on a distinguished road
Default 12v deep cycle AGM's

I am starting to tackle my battery problem, I'm going to run a 72 volt system and have two choices.

12 deep cycle 6Volt batteries, or 6 12V deep cycle batteries.

If i go with the 6 12V batteries, which will reduce my range i thought i might ought to at least get batteries that will last me the longest amount of time with the least amount of effort. Optima Yellow top batteries seem to be what i need as i wont have to vent or fill them and can mount them about anywhere... Then i saw their price, which was still steep for the connivence.

I hopped onto craigslist and found this listing

http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/569582302.html

for 12v sealed AGM batteries, I'm not sure if they are deep cycle could anyone tell me if these batteries are suitable for an EV?

Also, could someone ballpark the range i would be getting with about a 2,000lbs car with a 72V controller and the 12volt pack or the 6volt pack?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 AM

elevatorguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 12v deep cycle AGM's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifelder View Post
I am starting to tackle my battery problem, I'm going to run a 72 volt system and have two choices.

If i go with the 6 12V batteries, which will reduce my range i thought i might ought to at least get batteries that will last me the longest amount of time with the least amount of effort. Optima Yellow top batteries seem to be what i need as i wont have to vent or fill them and can mount them about anywhere... Then i saw their price, which was still steep for the connivence.

I hopped onto craigslist and found this listing

http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/569582302.html

for 12v sealed AGM batteries, I'm not sure if they are deep cycle could anyone tell me if these batteries are suitable for an EV?

Also, could someone ballpark the range i would be getting with about a 2,000lbs car with a 72V controller and the 12volt pack or the 6volt pack?
I personally would go with the 6 volt if you can take the weight difference and have the room. The down side is about 300 pounds more and 500 dollars.
The up side is double the capacity, more range. I have used t-105 trojan for comparison and this is without shipping, you could save more if you find a golf car supplier close and save shipping. I have heard you will get less life out of sealed batteries, as in 3 vs 5 for wet cells.
You might want to check the wiki here, and www.evalbum.com for ideas on range from other conversions.
hope this helps,
Jerry

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/preview.php?vid=1174
Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 AM

ifelder is on a distinguished road

are there any problems associated with mixing battery voltages? such as 6 6V and 3 12V wired together in series? i assume i would have problems maintaining them, and one section would die out before the other...

Ian
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM

elevatorguy is on a distinguished road

I think that if you mixed them, the current would have to be the same for each string or bad things would happen, most likely short life on battery pack.
Your range would likely be on par with the lower AH string as they would discharge and voltage would drop.
I have not heard of this being done, perhaps someone else has.
my two cents.
Jerry

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/preview.php?vid=1174
Old 02-21-2008, 01:29 AM

MitchJi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifelder View Post

Hi,

You have more than two choices for a 72 Volt System. For example you could use 6 pairs of 12V batteries.

Mitch
Old 02-21-2008, 03:40 PM

Wirecutter is on a distinguished road

Here's how I did it - YMMV:

http://www.evalbum.com/1274

I really need to do a proper range test. Based on how long I can drive at speed, I'd guess I have 30+ miles of range.

-Mark
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this