1930 Model A Roadster build - Page 49 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 PM

mizlplix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1930 Model A Roadster build

It is OK for everyone to have their pre-conceptions. But, reality is sometimes quite interesting.

A 75 Lb. transmission with a single planetary running in light weight ATF Has almost no friction at all. The only real drag on them is the reverse clutches turning backwards and we only leave 1 out of 5 in it.( A 3 or 4 speed overdrive model would be a different thing altogether.)

A manual transmission has a cluster and mainshaft full of gears, all in mesh all at once, all turning all the time, even in top gear. AND helical cut to load the gearing to a rear thrust bearing to make them quiet. Some are ATF, but most use a synchromesh lube or just plain thick 80/W90 gear lube.

My powerglide weighs 73 Lbs. The T-5 I removed weighed 88 Lbs.

To each, their own.

Miz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 PM

My car is not licensed or insured, so I try to not drive it too much. But I will post the amps information when I do.

OK, as for speed/shifting...

I have 32 " tall tires. I needed a 6.14 gear set to give about 100 MPH in high (direct ) gear. I get about 53 MPH in low. Meaning I dont really shift in town unless I get on the expressway. I designed it that way. to be simple.

I find the controller to be wonderfully adaptive and smooth and capable of a 20% larger motor.

I find the AC50 to be a great little buzz around town motor. After running around for about an hour, Accelerating and braking, 0-40-0-40 over and over, in an ambient of 109 Deg. F. the motor was 75 Deg. C(167F) and the controller was 54 Deg. C.(129 F) I have both water cooled.

My immediate goals are to get the car weighed, registered, plated & insured.

But to be honest, I am too much of a racecar guy at heart, So I am already planning the next motor. A custom built one. (Maybe direct drive too, if the torque figures work out)

Miz

Last edited by mizlplix; 06-27-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 AM

toddshotrods is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVS View Post
...I wouldn't use an automatic transmission, they eat power for lunch. I would stick with the manual trans in the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVS View Post
...There is a lot more to the auto than a manual, your watts per mile will be higher with the powerglide...
I think a lot of that is leftover sentiment from the old days (60s, 70s, 80s) when automatics were mostly 3-speeds. One problem is, compared to a manual with O/D, you were always spinning higher RPMs over say 55mph. Second problem is until lock-up converters (which were initially seen by many as a problem - typical of new technology) came along there was still a lot of loss in the converter. I think that is the main culprit - think about it, it was designed to waste a portion of the energy (which many older cars had an abundance of, plus cheap gas to match) as heat, so the engine could idle. The original goal with automatics was more about being smooth and effortless at all costs - now almost all cars have a mandate to be efficient.

I have found modern automatics to be a completely different animal. My current 4spd, auto, O/D, lock-up, Saturn sedan gets the same mileage my 5spd, manual, Accord did. It's a smaller lighter car, but has less power (I have the weak little SOHC engine), which keeps your foot in the pedal longer. I got much better than rated MPG from the Accord because it had enough power to allow me to drive with a lighter touch on the throttle. If I could do that in my Saturn its economy would far exceed the Accord's, even with the automatic. Yes, I realize the manual version of my car is rated for higher MPG - I'm getting much better than my ratings. The lock-up converter feels like 5th gear, and you can kind of tell you're more directly connected. My temp sensor went bad earlier this year, wreaking havoc with the computer, and one of the symptoms was the rpm stayed too high (vs RPM) for the computer to lock the converter - my mileage tanked.

I can't help but think Miz's converter-less approach is the best of both worlds. He basically has a 2 speed, clutch-less, sequential, manual transmission - ever price a sequential manual tranny? I'd put my money on 0 loss of efficiency with it.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:08 PM

Hi, everyone:

My next goal is to get the car titled and plated, next week if possible. Not too tough.......LOL

(Note to self, check closer before drilling anywhere on this car. There is high voltage everywhere with systems up and running.)

It will be OK, it is right beside a cable, but it should not touch......&*#@!%&@!^*$#)^!&!)$*!(&#*&!*_

The AC lead to the Elcon is 2" shorter that it used to be.

When things are going right, I tend to get casual.

There is no such thing as too safe. Plan safe. Plan again. drill last.

Miz

(I wonder if it will resharpen?)
Old 06-30-2012, 04:36 PM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough

ZORCH! How exciting was that?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:47 AM

The adrenaline rush was satisfying but wore off too quick.

Miz : }
Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 PM

dragonsgate is on a distinguished road

Excuse me for jumping in the middle of your electrifying experience but I was browsing through some earlier posts and came across this.
"I just cant afford lifepo4. If that were the only choice, id only drive ice vehicles.

Couple that with their fragility, their need for balancing. Their need for an expencive monitoring system and smart charger. Their need to not charge them fully and not use them too low....

Well my opinion is that their technology needs maturing or a betterbattery altogather.

The lifepo4 decision is not so clear where I sit.

Sorry in advance to all this offends. But it is my opinion thats all."

MIZ Seeing as how you just got some lithium batteries I would like to know what swayed you to make the plunge. While I have never been anti lithium your statement is about the closest I have heard that reflects some of my reasons for dragging around over a thousand pounds of fishing sinkers all these years.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 PM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

He fell into some extra cash. That's the only rational reason to be opposed to lithium.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 PM

piotrsko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggythewiz View Post
He fell into some extra cash. That's the only rational reason to be opposed to lithium.
no, dude, there are other reasons why he went Lipo, BUT, you'll have to ask him instead of just assuming what you thought the reason is, rational or otherwise.

Most of them are like the great apple / android war going on at work, which system is actually better?* You can substitute Linux & MSDOS, ford, dodge, chevy, Absolute / Stolichnaya, Natural Gas or electric heat, BMS or Naked, whatever.

*answer is: "depends"
Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizlplix View Post
I just unexpectedly sold some property and could lay my hands on some extra funds, so I took the leap.
I'm not assuming anything. I've been following the thread for some time and he's already answered it.

Share or Bookmark this