2001 MR2 spyder E/V build - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Technical Discussion

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM

NintendoKD can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to NintendoKD Send a message via Skype™ to NintendoKD
Default 2001 MR2 spyder E/V build

Looking into do-ing an ev build on my spyder. A little backstory first. I got the spyder at a salvage car auction I fixed the damage, and had a running car. My friend was leaving to go home to florida and needed the engine but didn't have the 2k to get a new 1zzfe plus the transmission. I, being the good friend that I am, gave mine to him NQA. I now have a very pretty lawn ornament with brand new tires and suspension. I want to do this conversion with an Onan genset, a 3k, and a hiper drive ac-50. For those not in the know, the ac-50 is a 3-phase a/c motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 PM

madderscience is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2001 MR2 spyder E/V build

If only I had friends I could borrow parts off their cars and take them to florida NQA

Sounds like a fun project. Suggest building a good EV first, then figuring out the genset part. Be aware some chargers have problems with generator output current, and if you want enough generator power to maintain freeway speed you need about 10kw from the generator, not 3kw. 3kw would extend your range and allow for recharging while parked though, but if part of your goal is a cleaner vehicle, then running a portable generator with its very dirty single cylinder gas engine much at all would quickly negate any gains.

The AC50 setup is a great setup for smaller cars, but is not a high performance system.

If you are looking for technical feedback, it would be useful for us to know your expectations and design plans. See the sticky for new posters.

cheers.

Last edited by madderscience; 04-29-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madderscience View Post
If only I had friends I could borrow parts off their cars and take them to florida NQA

Sounds like a fun project. Suggest building a good EV first, then figuring out the genset part. Be aware some chargers have problems with generator output current, and if you want enough generator power to maintain freeway speed you need about 10kw from the generator, not 3kw. 3kw would extend your range and allow for recharging while parked though, but if part of your goal is a cleaner vehicle, then running a portable generator with its very dirty single cylinder gas engine much at all would quickly negate any gains.

The AC50 setup is a great setup for smaller cars, but is not a high performance system.

If you are looking for technical feedback, it would be useful for us to know your expectations and design plans. See the sticky for new posters.

cheers.
I am going to replace the diode pack and get some more juice from the genset. The idea is to add some range and give the ability to charge while stopped. There are ways to have a perfectly clean generator exhaust output, and it by far emits less than a larger, higher output engine on a bad day. I will have this managed, and this will allow for me to use a heater in the colder months. I will have nowhere near 10KW, however, it will be enough to get around. I don't want a high performance system....... yet. I just want to try my hand at this, and have a plug in car. Too bad you don't have any good friends, you just haven't met me yet.

thanks,

Nintendo
Old 04-29-2012, 10:21 PM

I was a proud member of the www.battleofthebuilds.com Kai Hei Tai team, and am versed in fabrication, and mechanics. I wish I had the machining equipment to do some of the things I want to do.
Not really sure on the mileage, I think I'll take it a step at a time. I am working with a mid-engi...... errr mid-motor mounted vehicle.
As for performance, I don't want a rocket ship....... yet. I just need something to get the smog doctor off my back.
Money, hmmmmmm. well, I guess you could say I don't have much capital, but I am resourceful, and that goes a long way.
onan generator, 3-phase a/c motor, vw transmission, "I have a few of these just sitting around" I don't know about coupling with a manual or automatic, or if that makes a difference. I am looking to use as few of the electric accesories as possible, to make better use of the mileage as possible.
I am interested in the concept of regenerative acceleration and lenz's law, as well as using an lc circcuit for high frequenct high voltage to achieve better efficiency.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM

a useful link for the mr2 spyder.
http://spyderchat.com/specifications.htm
Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 PM

ac propulsion t-zero.....DROOL..... ahem, so I just need to get going cheap is probably better, where can I source an a/c 3-phase motor? I have access to DRMO, which is a military salvage operation on base here.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 PM

Question time:
if and when I get a motor, who can I send it to to balance it and replace worn bearings, possibly improve overall top end rpms? Is there a shop that specializes in this? I think I may have found a motor, I'm going to pick it up tonight, I'll let you all know more when I do.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 AM

got a couple of motors, will pick up tomorrow, and share my findings, but they appeared to all be three-phase ~ 10 HP up to ~1750 rpm's These motors all came from industrial compressors, big ol things. I also swiped a potentiometer or two. The pots looked rather bulky and industrial sized, but I guess I'll know more when I pick them up tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 PM

I just realized, like a dummy, that I am in the completely incorrect section of this forum. The reason for this is that I have a link at the top of my browser for the thread for updates. Any way a mod could move it to the correct location?

thanks,

Kevin
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 PM

So, as I understand it, that is if everything that I am reading is correct, I can have my cake and eat it too. I would like to be able to travel 200 miles on a single charge. I would like to be able to travel at up to 7o MPH. I plan to incorporate the transmission into my build. As few electronic devices as possible. I need a source of vacuum "volkwagen diesel vacuum pump" I will be using a generator to augment my power during trips. I need a lot of help. I want ~240v for this baldor motor, or do I need a more efficient one with higher rpms? as I take it, the torque should be able to start the vehicle in third or fourth right?. There are some obvious modifications and setup to perform on the car "measurements etc first to get everything ready. I can solder, and make my own boards with components, I just need schematics so that isn't a problem. So, 240v setup, would be 10 24v batteries, or 100 2.4v batteries, amp hours are an important factor ere the higher being more desireable for my application I have a converter from 24v to 12v handles up to 20A continuous, that is enough to run any accessories. I have most of the stuff I really would have had to pay a lot of money for, I need batteries and the converter now right. I am still researching this. I apologize for any misspellings, my keyboard is going out. The motor pictures and info is coming, I'll pick up some more tomorrow.

Kevin

Share or Bookmark this