88 Fiero EV Build - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM

electric85 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 88 Fiero EV Build

ya i have been really looking into the sinopoly cells...the new 200ah cells are lighter thinner and have a much better energy density...its the best bang for your buck right now...about $220 a cell from china. i plan on ordering as soon as i know my house is sold, and that will get you the range you want and maybe more...this article (not sure where i recently posted this link, haha maybe earlier in this thread) but she used 200ah ThunderSky cells, and the new Sinopoly are a superior cell. like i said, lighter with better energy density, you should get better performance out of them then the older TS 200. and her miata is very similar to our fieros...hers is lighter...fiero 2590lbs and miata 2150lbs... but ours has better drag coefficient the fiero with 3.2 and the miata with 3.8. who knows how much weight she removed with the ice stuff, but i dropped alot fo weight and my Sinopoly cells will be lighter then hers.

http://www.elitepowersolutions.com/e...c_vehicle.html
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM

petersot is on a distinguished road

Ok, just brain-storming here.

What would be your opinion of having all four wheels powered. I'm looking at:
http://www.evlithium.com/html/High_Power_Motor/111.html

Each wheel has a maximum speed of 44mph @ 1300 rpm. What I am curious about is if this is constrained by heat from the motor or the actual rpm. If I had all four wheels powered by these would my max rpm still be 1300 or would I be able to take 50% gain from the other wheels due to the reduction in energy draw for each one?

This doesn't seem right to me, but I'm not sure where the flaw in my logic is. For this kind of application I would like to have a max speed of 70mph and 40mi range.

Thoughts or feedback?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:10 PM

maybe somone else would know more...to me it seems a lot more complicated...do you need different knuckles at each wheel, with it work with stock spindals up front, and hubs in back? you may drop the drivetrain but how much will you have to modify to get those to work on the car...i'm not sure about the rpm and what you could get away with on those wheel motors, but another question is are you going to have to get a controller for each one?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:18 PM

petersot is on a distinguished road

I had considered all 4 wheels being electrified, but upon considering your comment, I would also consider just the rear wheels. The motors are 110V ea so I could probably get a 220-240V controller to wire both of them. The trick, I believe I read somewhere, is to make sure the leads are exactly the same length to each motor. The interesting part is that it may remove the need or requirement for a transmission and may just make it a high-speed golf cart. With good airflow to cool things off it may not be a problem.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:24 PM

if they can power the rear wheels with little modification then it might be worth it, but they might not be efficient without a transmission. i don't know i'm just throwing stuff out there...maybe try and find someone who has used this set up in their vehicle. with most ev's you just put it in second and drive around town, and to drive on the highway, pop it into 3rd...with no tranny i don't know if those motors could bring you to highway speeds, or if it could do it efficiently...anyone know much about these wheel motors?

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
fiero, francisco, jose, performance, san