DIY Electric Car Forums banner

AMD Motor, FB0-4001G, 28.5HP (with speed sensor) Question

5K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  piotrsko 
#1 ·
I found this motor for sale $500 used was pulled out of another EV project. The guy is saying it just needs new brushes. Now I have only read about replacing the brushes. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace on this motor? Also I have read about advancing the brushes but since this system already has advanced brushes when I go to replace them will I have to do that again or is it already in place that angle. We will have a mechanics shop to work in, just wondering on the difficulty of replacing the brushes really. Last will this be fine at 72v for a ford contour 97'?

Links to motor and brush replacements:
http://www.kta-ev.com/AMD_Motor_FB0_4001G_28_5HP_with_speed_sensor_p/amd-fb0-4001g.htm
http://www.kta-ev.com/AMD_Brush_Lead_Assembly_for_A00_4009_p/amd-ac6-2034as.htm

• Configuration: Four-terminals (3/8"), single-shafted, face-mounted, internal fan-cooled reversible

• Weight: Motor only: 143 lbs,
  • Shipping Weight: 183 lbs (freight ship only)
  • Dimensions: 9.13" diameter X 15.62" body
  • Drive Shaft: 1.125" diameter, keyed, protrudes 2.00"
  • Tail Shaft: 0.750" diameter, keyed, protrudes 1.72" (-A only)
  • Operating Voltage: 72-144 volts DC
  • Operating Current: 190 amps continuous, 210 amps (1-hr. thermal rating), 700 amps intermittent
  • Horsepower: 28.5 HP continuous, 30.4 (1-hr. thermal rating), 100 HP peak at 144 volts
  • Insulation: Class H (180 degrees Celsius)
  • Bearings: Sealed, using high-temperature grease

See less See more
#3 ·
I seriously doubt those are the correct brushes for that motor.

The process of replacing the brushes themselves takes about an hour and is easy. But in a decent application, brushes should last tens of thousands of miles. So if the brushes need replacing on a used motor, it may well need attention in other areas. Commutator reconditioning comes to mind. And then you need to break in the motor to seat the new brushes.

#4 · (Edited)
After looking at the model numbers more closely I think you may be right. That was the link the technician sent me from the EV company for the brush replacements. I sent an email asking why the brushes need to be replaced so soon also. When you break in the new brushes do you put a dummy load on the shaft to run it at the desired voltage (72v in our case) ? I read that you never want to run the motor with no load iirc. Would it be a mission to ask for pictures from them of the brushes or commutator before I decide to make the purchase. I have access to a lathe I would assume if the commutator is worn we could take a sliver off it to make it nice and shiny again?

Thanks,
Adam

#5 ·
#11 ·
Everything in your picture looks a hell of a lot nicer haha. I am not sure though if my motor picture there is anything wrong or is it just dirty.

The response for brush wear was

The customer was running a Zilla 2K at 1400 amps. High current significantly wears down the brushes.

Thanks Major.

Do you think it would just be wise to not get this motor?

#13 ·
Hey Major,

The company is Ev West out of california. The technician responded that there have been no mods on the motor and it only needed the brush replacements. He also is willing to drop the price by $100 due to it being for a highschool shop class.

I think its worth the risk, seems to be from a reputable company and for the price if it works perfectly will be a great project for the students.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.