DIY Electric Car Forums banner

and if i convert a motorcycle?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  giulio87 
#1 ·
hi everybody! i'm very new to the forum, and i'm reading a lot without posting, i'm try to understand the world of electric veichles that for me it's always not easy to get... specially the tecnical part.

briefly there is something maybe that i'm missing... and to talk about that i will post a video that i found on internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF4IqRsJPj8

my goal is to convert my motorcycle to electric and i tell you why, i asked you many times ago about convert a small light car, and i realize that my thought was quite unrealistic.. mainly cause the important actual limitation of the batteries power to weight ratio. anyway... i'm a motorcyclistis since year and i need a veichles just for me for what i'm doing (go to work :):):) )... so i tought to the motorcycle because is lighter then the motorcycle so "in theory" i need less power to run... and for this reason a potential higher miles range.

you will say "yes" but you are less space to put the batteries... and that's what i want to talk...

first thing i found a engine that is really small respect engine used for car, and i don't understand if can be enough to move and run the motorcycle at decent speed (i suppose that the video use the same motor that i'm mention it.. so it supposed to work fine) this time i'm not looking for extreme speed... but just let say just enough power to some SAFE overtaken and the rest is use less throttle possible and respect "most" of the speed limit.

i recently found this other video... but it seems everything expensive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ULIDRrYrDIk starting from a strange engine that i don't recognize and i don't understand why even if it's pumped at 96- volt and have two engine... the battery pack it's really small.... so i really thinking that with just one small engine pumped at lower voltage with more battery i really can get higher milege... (of course no performance)

for controllers and other parts it seems that my motorcycle have quite a lot of space in the tail... and for the battery i can easily store the same or maybe a little bit more battery that they put in the video..

using the same and expensive battery like the thundersky, how many batteries i need to buy? yes she said in the video 28 battery, but what does it mean in term of amps, volts and all the caractheristic that i found when i want to buy some batteries? (you know what i mean)

and how much voltage for the engine? i understood that if you have a high voltage setting for the engine i will have more power and less milege.. if i put less voltage i have less power and more milege... is it right?

thank you for any help..

See less See more
#3 ·
Greetings: Your desire to have a commuter vehicle rather than a pure performance vehicle is in your favor. A DC motor is limited in RPM when compared to an AC motor, so your gearing is most important.

Gearing is a trade off of Top speed for acceleration. That means that by holding your top speed ....to say 50MPH....you would give yourself a better lower speed torque curve than if you had a 90MPH top speed.

Depending on your street and traffic conditions, I feel that lower speed drive-ability is a majorly important factor in a commuter situation.

Batteries: Clever battery placement will make or break your bike. Weight, balance and style are all important and affected by the amount and placement of the batteries.

#4 ·
absolutely true in everything! i agree with everything! i will go for a dc motor of course like the engine mentioned, and for what concern the rpm yes totally right and you show me a new thing that i didn't know, after set out the amount of money necessary to buy every peaces i will think about leave the original gear box... but i' really worried about the huge amount of energy that the gear could absorb instead of a direct engine with no gear box... still don't know nothing about it, i'm just imagining.

#5 ·
by the way... i found this site, it's a european one ( yes unfortunately i'm in europe) so i'm looking at this website and not on the wide variety of american website full of stuff and at prices that for me seems so cheap!!! but i think because i need to add not only the shipping cost but mainly lots of tax and in fact in the website cited above all the prices are higher than the americans...
any way.. if i put "28" thunderstack 90ah it's 2500 euros (3.400 dollars) plus an engine called Agni-119R - Max 90V/16 kW (it seems the engine on the other videos i posted) and it's an other 1200 euros (1700) for now i'm at 5000 dollar... and it's fine... unfortunately are missing all the other peaces from controller to charger and throttle... nobody knows how much i could spend for all the other component? (average!)

for what concern the perm engine is strange, because i red somewhere that is built in germany or stuff like that but i find it only on american website... sound strange to me

http://www.ev-power.eu/index.php

thank you guys for everything

for the cost i was thinking to save twice the money needed for one motorbike, buy an other one, buy twice as much for the component and at the end sell one of them to keep back some money, but i think is worthless cause to licence it and drive on the road here is not easy as in america, and i totally ignore the insurence cost yet... i think un bilion dollars a years.. :) plus thousand of euros to licence just one... so un step at the time.. :):) now i'm focus on the component.. hahaha :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.