And so it begins..... - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Thaniel is on a distinguished road
Default And so it begins.....

Not much yet but I placed my order or rather "secured my place in line" for a zilla controller so I guess the project is started. I was just excited to actually do something more than just talk about this project. Sadly it isn't much but it is something.

In the sticky it recommends sharing:
  • Your skill level with auto mechanics and fabrication
I do all my own auto repairs. I have a welder and I can do basic welding. I'm good with automotive wiring but am not an electrical expert. I have done 2 Gas engine swaps into cars that the engine/trans was never designed to go (check out LS1BMW.blogspot.com). The mechanical part of this project, building battery trays coupling the motor to the trans etc, sound like fun. I may have to copy and rely on some others for the electrical component expert advice.
  • The range you are hoping to get (how many miles/charge)
I'm going for 20 to 25 miles per charge. My round trip to work is 18miles (slightly hilly). Anything past that is bonus.
  • What level of performance you are hoping to get
I want acceleration equal to or better than a typical gas engined car. 0-60 in 7 seconds kind of performance.
  • How much money you are willing to put into your project
That's hard to say. Most projects tend to go over budget. If I had to put a number on it....a wild guess I'd say $8,000. However I'll just spread the buying of parts out over a longer period of time if necessary.
  • What parts you've already considered, if any.
I'm going with the basic Zilla controller, with -A and -P option (on order). I'm thinking a WarP 9" motor. For batteries I'm thinking AGM style. Haven't selected what exact brand or size. Whatever it takes to get the desired performance, I guess. I'm a bit confused still on battery selection and predicting performance. I'll probably go 120-144 V. For a donor car I'm thinking of using a '92-'97 3 series 4 door BMW for the swap (alternate car will be nissan maxima). Keeping the manual transmission and clutch. I go with the Mr2 P/S pump. Vac pump and tank for brakes. undecided on the heater and A/C. No idea what to do for a battery charger or some of the other electrical components (contactors etc).

Anyway, I have been lurking around for a while now. I have contemplated doing an electric car for awhile now. I about started a couple years ago but decided to swap a V8 into a 3 series BMW instead. Now that I'm driving the V8 BMW I'm ready for a new project.

With gas prices high it makes it easier to justify building a EV but I by no means expect to save money by having one. I'm not out there to start a crusade to save the enviroment either. Basically I just don't want to stop at the gas station any more and an electric car sounds very interesting.

Comments and tips are appreciated.

Thaniel

Previous Engine swap experience:
2002 LS1 V-8 (think corvette) and 6 spd manual into a '93 3-series BMW (daily driver) http://www.ls1bmw.blogspot.com/
2000 Nissan Maxima V-6 and 350z 6 spd manual into a '91 Rx-7 (sold) http://www.v6rx7.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 12:51 PM

Qer will become famous soon enoughQer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: And so it begins.....

It seems you've got it covered, really. Good to have mechanical guys around, I believe that part will be the tricky one when I start. I'm more into short circuits than engine replacements even though I can MIG-veld if I have to.

Don't forget to document carefully! Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddshotrods View Post
I like the Soliton's hi-tech build and ability to deliver whopping doses of current until someone screams "Uncle!"
Old 07-26-2008, 09:06 PM

dimitri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Keeping the manual transmission and clutch.
I seriously advise you to reconsider keeping the clutch, read as much as you can on the subject before you make final decision. I went clutchless on Miata and loving it. 2 things that helped my decision:

1. Weight of flywheel, especially the power it takes to spin it up from dead stop.

2. Additional complexity of motor coupler and room it takes under the hood. I actually cut off the pilot shaft from tranny as advised by EV America's coupler design, and saved 2 inches of spacers. If I kept flywheel, my motor would be 3-4 inches further away from tranny and I would not be able to put batteries in front of it.

Obviously your choice of donor will drive these decisions, but I just want to give friendly advise from someone who just finished the conversion and had to make same decisions you are making today.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Hey I appreciate the feedback. Do you find you shift the gears much or just leave it in one?

I had contemplated going direct drive with a high ratio diff. I really was excited to go that way as I could shove the motor under the trans tunnel and shorten/eliminate the driveshaft. I changed my mind after some comunication with the owner of the white zombie which is direct drive. His daily driver EV the blue meanie retains the clutch and trans.

Obviously the more info and opinions I can get the better. I agree the rotating mass is a big drawback. I'm considering perhaps a racing clutch or atleast a aluminum flywheel.

Shame I can't just go to the local EV dealer and try both options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
I seriously advise you to reconsider keeping the clutch, read as much as you can on the subject before you make final decision. I went clutchless on Miata and loving it. 2 things that helped my decision:

1. Weight of flywheel, especially the power it takes to spin it up from dead stop.

2. Additional complexity of motor coupler and room it takes under the hood. I actually cut off the pilot shaft from tranny as advised by EV America's coupler design, and saved 2 inches of spacers. If I kept flywheel, my motor would be 3-4 inches further away from tranny and I would not be able to put batteries in front of it.

Obviously your choice of donor will drive these decisions, but I just want to give friendly advise from someone who just finished the conversion and had to make same decisions you are making today.

Hope this helps.

2002 LS1 V-8 (think corvette) and 6 spd manual into a '93 3-series BMW (daily driver) http://www.ls1bmw.blogspot.com/
2000 Nissan Maxima V-6 and 350z 6 spd manual into a '91 Rx-7 (sold) http://www.v6rx7.blogspot.com/
Old 07-27-2008, 04:49 PM

dimitri is on a distinguished road

I start in 2nd gear, then shift to 3rd at 40 mph. Pretty much all my road driving is in 3rd, going back to 2nd at stops and slow traffic. Shifting is very easy, just pause for a second to let syncros do their job, then gently push into next gear. Works fine, no grinding or anything.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Administrator

xrotaryguy will become famous soon enoughxrotaryguy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to xrotaryguy

Great start though

Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrotaryguy View Post

Great start though
Ok well here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zilla order - Copy.JPG (50.8 KB, 1483 views)

Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 PM

Not much to show at the moment . Just have the longest lead time item on order.

Well after careful consideration I believe I made my decision on the Clutch Vs Clutchless. Though I believe the clutchless would work it all came down to this.......My wife. She will be driving the car as well. Her daily driver is a manual and if she is switching back and forth between the electric and she gets used to shifting with no clutch and goes back to her manual trans ICE powered car... I think you know where I am going with this.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:20 PM

ragee is on a distinguished road

LOL,

Thats the reason I went without the clutch. It is my EV. LOL. But you are right if you sharing the car. You can shift an ICE without one too but I wouldnt recommend it like I do with my EV but because I did do it that way I got 6 batts up front with my system battery.

ragee
Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 AM

Qer will become famous soon enoughQer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
Her daily driver is a manual and if she is switching back and forth between the electric and she gets used to shifting with no clutch and goes back to her manual trans ICE powered car... I think you know where I am going with this.
Two words: Automatic transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddshotrods View Post
I like the Soliton's hi-tech build and ability to deliver whopping doses of current until someone screams "Uncle!"

Share or Bookmark this