DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Assault n Battery Build Thread

126K views 212 replies 37 participants last post by  major 
#1 · (Edited)
Assault&Battery Build Thread

We will be putting build information for Lonestar EV Racing Team's latest addition, "Assault n Battery", call us if you want to be a part of this exciting build.

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
Normal stomping grounds is Houston Motorsports Park, Royal Purple in Baytown, Lonestar Motorsports Park in Sealy.

We will be powering this with two NETGAIN Warp9 motors.

Metric

#14 ·
We could build a 32-tooth ImPulse pretty quickly, same end bells as W9, just a slightly different shaft. All motors built after 8/1/2012 should have "all the goodies", 1/2" studs, aluminum, high output fans (which you may wish to remove for 1/4 mile racing...), Helwig brushes, etc. etc. Unfortunately, this isn't the"priority" motor we're working on... But, I'll ask Hunter to throw together the CAD drawings so we can see if anything else needs to change, he can probably get it done yet today...
Geo

#17 ·
Looks like about 2-3 motors worth of material and length... and 2 years worth of $$$ :eek:

Please tell, what does it do? And why so many levers?

I have no doubt that you will go fast by copying Wayland and using the latest version of (old skool) components.

Here is what I am getting at: Weigh your entire drive-train. Would not you be better with either direct axle drive or direct wheel drive motors?

Just curious.

#19 · (Edited)
Here is what I am getting at: Weigh your entire drive-train. Would not you be better with either direct axle drive or direct wheel drive motors?
Just curious.
Can you show me some pictures of what you are talking about and how they would fit?
My current specs for A&B are 1500 ftlbs of torque through a 3.00 rear end, so 4500ftlbs of torque at the wheels or better....
and 800-1000 battery horsepower.....

If you have some pancake motor or something else in that range, I would like to know about it. I have not read about anything close to that.

Metric

#23 ·
Was this an ex-alcohol car?
It never raced. It is a Miata unibody chassis on a 25.2 tube frame, the previous owner had a small block V8 with twin 88mm turbos. You can see the miata chassis on the left and right. (you can see DC Plasma just to the left....feeling kind of lonely)

#32 · (Edited)
Wow! Love seeing builds like this! Any estimates on total race weight? Does lenco not offer any overdrive ratios? Seems like you guys favor Gv units. Seems like it would be easier if it were all lenco modules unless OD ones don't exist. Im in no way qualified to tell you that you are doing anything wrong. Seeing the GV units just made me wonder about that. Does the 2nd Gv overdrive the already overdriven output of the 1st (compounding the OD) or are they 2 different ratios that will be used one at a time? Cool build! Can't wait to see this one run!

#33 · (Edited)
Heavier than Black Current Lighter than DC Plasma. Not sure yet(don't want to give it away yet). A lot more steel in the rear to take some real torque. DC Plasma is a 28 spline CV Shaft system, this is 3-4 times beefier than that.

Lenco does not make a shiftable overdrive and Up til about a week ago, I had called Lenco several times and they have said no fixed overdrive units either only reducers.
I have just found someone there that said they think they can run their reducer backwards with custom female spline couplers. I am waiting to hear on a final price. The idea would be permanent overdrive and all lenco reducers like a normal transmission.

The photoshop picture above I would target 1.56:1, 1:1, 1:0.78, 1:0.60
1:0.50 overdrive on front would be 3, 1.5, 1.25, 1

#35 ·
That's clever. So once you get the overdrive input with the custom reducer any further gear choices don't require custom work.
I was amazed that the 28 spline ford rear held together in DC Plasma with CV joints. Good thing its a pretty light car.
I had DC Plasma engineered to the scary edge of MOT specs on nearly every driveline part. 150lb Battery too. It was a neat project.

Assault n Battery is going to be another technical "what are the limits" kind of build. We are shooting for first car to 150mph in the 1/4 and maybe 200mph in the one mile, also first car to deploy a parachute, maybe 125mph in the 1/8th and a couple other milestones. Couple of sponsors that want to be part of that would be nice.

#39 ·
I call my line of LiPo packs "LiPo Seduction"
They are RC car batteries massively paralleled and series"ed".
I currently run a 90S6P arrangement that makes about 800 peak battery horsepower. You can see a bunch of photos on my facebook page.

#45 ·
I posted a youtube video of the 32 spline swap on the Lenco, but the darn copyright police got me for the 30 year old transistor radio in my 2x4 garage recording with a 10 year old 640X480 AVI quality translated to moviemaker wmv, then uploaded to MP3 or 4 on youtube and they can still tell it was foreigner playing the background while i narrated. I am irritated by that. Warner Music Group might miss out on their 1/10000th of penny of revenue in case you guys want to copy that recording.

#48 ·
#49 · (Edited)
Re: Assault&Battery Build Thread

Wow, so if you snooze you lose, look what came in the mail today, my final adapter piece.
This is my completed 1500HP Electric motor Five Speed Transmission with double overdrive. It is about six inches longer than doing the whole thing with six LENCO cases including a permanent overdrive and about $3000 cheaper and deeper overdrive this way. All fly by wire shifting. oh, neutral and reverse in there too so I never have to spin the motor backwards again, which means we can eliminate all switches in the motor circuit and the 45lb backup battery. The net only adds about 35 lbs to the car. The magnesium cases are surprising light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.