DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Axe7245

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MalcolmB 
#1 ·
Would like to know what you think of the AXE7245 for powering a 1970 vw bug using a D & D ES_31C motor
I am going for a top speed of 40mph and in town driving.
I would like to go a 120v but the price is out of my range.
The car I am working on is on firstontop com and you can see most of the parts I will use building it.
The price of the AXE7245 is $450 is that a good price or should I Keep looking.

#4 ·
Hi otp,

The Alltrax 7245 is a rugged little controller. I used one on my motorbike and I'm planning to use the same controller on my Mini, though just for testing purposes, as I want to go to higher voltage eventually.

The main drawback of the Alltrax for a road vehicle is the way it responds to the throttle. The throttle controls speed rather than torque, so if you apply 25% throttle the controller delivers 25% of maximum voltage (very roughly). On a lightweight motorbike this made slow-speed manouvering quite jerky. I had to be very gentle with the throttle. In a car that weighs around four times as much I don't expect it to be so much of a problem. I'd definitely recommend bolting it to a decent-sized heatsink with plenty of airflow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.