Barriers to mass EV conversion - Page 3 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Clubs > NZEVA

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 03:55 PM

LVVTA is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Barriers to mass EV conversion

Richard

APEV have been doing a lot of work on the costs and the results will be out soon.

http://www.apev.org.nz/News/Calculat...engine-vehicle

APEV have some good contacts and are concentrating on developing the marketing side of EVs so this should move things along nicely.

Dan
LVVTA, member of APEV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM

Richard Wood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Richard Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVVTA View Post
Richard

APEV have been doing a lot of work on the costs and the results will be out soon.

http://www.apev.org.nz/News/Calculat...engine-vehicle

APEV have some good contacts and are concentrating on developing the marketing side of EVs so this should move things along nicely.

Dan
LVVTA, member of APEV
Hi Dan
Yes, very much looking forward to it, and following their other activities with interest.
Richard
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Duncan will become famous soon enough

Hi Dan

I thought about joining APEV - but it was very expensive and they didn't seem to do anything

I'm afraid I decided it was a scam!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:01 PM

Nick Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Hi Dan

I thought about joining APEV - but it was very expensive and they didn't seem to do anything

I'm afraid I decided it was a scam!
Hi Duncan, no APEV is not a scam. There are some serious players behind this organisation and it is properly incorporated and funded. The value proposition of membership is something that we have been discussing and we are looking to improve the offering. As it is VERY early days in this organisation we have the opportunuty to make it what we (Ev enthusiasts) need it to be. There have been several regional coordinators appointed ( i am one of them) and we will be looking to organise lectures, show days, promotional events and member only benefits. The organisTion was only founded last october so as i said, still early days.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:20 PM

albo2 is on a distinguished road

We also need an ev supplier in nz where we could purchase batteries and not have the 3 - 6months waiting/worrying period also perhaps manufacture common conversion kits toyota echo or something along those lines perhaps APEV could be trusted to organize group buys to get the price and stress levels down
Old 05-20-2012, 05:39 PM

John is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albo2 View Post
perhaps manufacture common conversion kits toyota echo or something along those lines
Something along the lines of the Blade Electron perhaps. Back in 2008 they had plans to produce and sell 200 per year in NZ which it seems came to nothing. I just found out Ross Blade Engineering has ceased trading earlier this year as their sole supplier Azure Dynamics is in receivership whose fate is to be decided in July.

The beauty of a small car conversion is that low cost AC drive becomes an option along with all the nice features that brings and the light weight means that reasonable range can be had on a smallish and hence low cost battery pack. The drawback is that such small cars often have a small payload i.e. the difference between curb weight and GVWR. Also space to fit batteries can become an issue. The small payload often gives little scope to increase the vehicles weight much above the curb weight without having to reduce the number of passengers the car can legally carry. This can be very limiting as to how much battery you can carry before overloading the vehicle.

Blade could do a conversion on the Hyundai Getz and retain 4 seats with reasonable range but couldn’t make it work on its replacement the i20 (possibly another reason for him ceasing to do conversions). I do think Australia’s rules are a bit stricter than ours around per passenger weight allowances so we might have a bit more flexibility there. I found richer pickings in terms of payload in the next size up small cars (Toyota Corolla, Misubishi Mirage, Hyundai Accent).
Old 05-20-2012, 06:43 PM

Nick Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I found richer pickings in terms of payload in the next size up small cars (Toyota Corolla, Misubishi Mirage, Hyundai Accent).
For sure John. I have wanted to do a conversion of a Yaris for some time but one thing always seems the same on the smaller cars - you end up having to forgo the back seat. The larger vehicles as you say have a much higher weight capacity for batteries, and often more room too.

The focus for conversions in the start would probably be directed towards commercial vehicles such as vans and utes which only have one or two occupants most of the time, and the batteries are only a small load weight sacrifice in terms of say a 1T ute. Courier vans can hardly have more than 200kg in them at any one time, so plenty spare load capacity there too. The conversions could also be a bit more "utilitarian" saving money on the niceties of life.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 PM

Richard Wood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Richard Wood

Yep, APEV NZ is sounding very promising and I hope it ramps up well. I agree too that common conversion kits for a small to mid sized car popular in New Zealand would be a great way to go.

John is right about the payload issue. Previously I've noticed that the Honda Civic, despite being a popular choice, has a relatively low payload compared to the Honda Accord, such that I wondered why the Civic is so utilised. It comes down I think also to the total cost being a major factor. The lower that cost, the lower the risk the converter is taking.

Sorry to hear about Blade. I guess also that Australia doesn't have the same market in terms of second hand japanese cars being so cheap, wheras we have bucket loads of them.
Richard
Old 05-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Smith View Post
Hi Duncan, no APEV is not a scam. There are some serious players behind this organisation and it is properly incorporated and funded. The value proposition of membership is something that we have been discussing and we are looking to improve the offering. As it is VERY early days in this organisation we have the opportunuty to make it what we (Ev enthusiasts) need it to be. There have been several regional coordinators appointed ( i am one of them) and we will be looking to organise lectures, show days, promotional events and member only benefits. The organisTion was only founded last october so as i said, still early days.
Hi Nick

I pay hundreds of dollars to the IMPENZ and IMechE, these are professional bodies and it helps with my job,
I pay tens of dollars to my scuba club and motor club

as a hobbyist I would pay a tens of dollars to an EV club - I just don't see paying hundreds of dollars - where is it going?

A trade organization - yes that would be worthwhile IF I wanted an EV business
for me ????
Old 05-21-2012, 04:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albo2 View Post
OK cool we still don't know the life span of these batteries only what can be expected statiscally through testing, lithium batteries are not dead after the 2000 3000 or 6000 cycles the producers quote but merely at 70 % or 80% correct me if I'm wrong where as you were correct lead acid is dead, so if that is more than your required range you won't even notice, hope I'm still around to enjoy my pack after the ten years and I'll report back, also Lithium is used as the anode there's plenty of scope for the cathode but oxygene would make them nice and light.
Forgot to mention BYD the largest manufacturer of batteries in the world are working on a FE battery that may not be as light as lithium but way cheaper, who knows I think GM has purchased the patent back for the NiCad and Panasonic are producing a battery for Tesla perhaps these will also make it to the market.

Hi Albo

I think GM has purchased the patent back for the NiCad

Patents only last 20 years and can't be extended

Share or Bookmark this