Brushless DC Mongoose Build Thread - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Bikes

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 AM

metallover is on a distinguished road
Default Brushless DC Mongoose Build Thread

I have decided to convert a bike. A few weeks ago I picked up my friend's mongoose for $50 bucks. It is a pretty good donor because it has disc brakes and a square frame.

So for all I have done is move the suspension around a little bit so I can have room for the motor. I ordered the motor some time ago, and I got a note on my door that it was at the post office yesterday. I'll have to get it tomorrow unless the post office is open today...

My motor has 2400w peak at 36v. Its a monster! I only plan to run 24v SLA for now. If I upgrade the voltage I'll need a new speed controller as well.

link to motor - http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5144
link to controller - http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7341

Here is a picture of my bike. The suspension is NOT finished. I'll mount the shock better later.

I'll post all my updates on the build here and take lots of pics. I hope to have it done within a couple months for sure. I hope it all works out and I'm very excited about this project!

Last edited by metallover; 02-18-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Brushless DC Mongoose Build Thread

I just brought home the motor. It's surprisingly small. If this works like it should, that will be a good deal considering I only payed about 80 dollars for the motor and the controller. Here's some pics:

Hard to beleive I'll get 2400w peak @36v out of this little motor.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 PM

I got the connectors soldered onto the esc. I hope one deans plug will do the job with the battery...

I have a chain, pinion, and sprocket from an old electric scooter. My plan is to run the motor with the pinion to the sprocket, then on the same shaft run a freewheel to the low gear on the crankshaft of the bike. It should work out pretty well.

I am working on programming the esc. This is done with musical tones and pulling the trigger on an RC transmitter. I think I got the hang of it after about 20 minutes but I had to quit because it is getting late for me.

First things on my to do list:
-figure out how to attach the sprocket to my axle
-tap threads into the pinion to attach a grub screw/screws
-finish programming the esc
-solder up battery connectors from the pb's I have now
-get a freewheel and figure out how to attach it to my axle

That's about it for now. I have about 100 other things I'll tackle after I finish what I listed above. Any comments are appreciated...

I have a question though. I will go to the hardware store to buy a thread tap. I don't have a set and I need to know what it will take to thread the pinion. I know the pinion is some pretty hard metal..

Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 PM

Doctorbass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallover View Post
I got the connectors soldered onto the esc. I hope one deans plug will do the job with the battery...

I have a chain, pinion, and sprocket from an old electric scooter. My plan is to run the motor with the pinion to the sprocket, then on the same shaft run a freewheel to the low gear on the crankshaft of the bike. It should work out pretty well.

I am working on programming the esc. This is done with musical tones and pulling the trigger on an RC transmitter. I think I got the hang of it after about 20 minutes but I had to quit because it is getting late for me.

First things on my to do list:
-figure out how to attach the sprocket to my axle
-tap threads into the pinion to attach a grub screw/screws
-finish programming the esc
-solder up battery connectors from the pb's I have now
-get a freewheel and figure out how to attach it to my axle

That's about it for now. I have about 100 other things I'll tackle after I finish what I listed above. Any comments are appreciated...

I have a question though. I will go to the hardware store to buy a thread tap. I don't have a set and I need to know what it will take to thread the pinion. I know the pinion is some pretty hard metal..

Hello metallover.. I used this exact frame to build mine with a crystalyte brand motor and controller... 8100W max 76kph and now with 160 pounds of trust!

http://www.evalbum.com/1947

a very good frame for balanced weight and great handling!

Doc

Last edited by Doctorbass; 02-18-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Share or Bookmark this