Build thread: Ninja 250 conversion. - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Bikes

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM

whisperer is on a distinguished road
Default Build thread: Ninja 250 conversion.

OK, I figured I would start a real build thread and will be adding posts as things progress.
I bought a 2000 Ninja 250 and stripped it down as needed for the construction.
The motor I bought is a "SepEx" which is actually what people have been calling a shunt wound DC motor for many years. This one is a D&D SepEx that is capable of 17HP at 48 VDC. US made.
The controller I bought is an Alltrax DCX 600 which working in conjunction with the shunt motor will give me regeneration. US made. This controller is also programmable with my laptop via a USB cable and RS232 adaptor and the software is available for free on their website. Be aware that there are EV parts companies out there that wanted to sell me a disk and a cable adaptor for $300. I thought that smelled a little bit si I didn't buy from them.
I bought from Electric Motorsports at www.electricmotorsports.com .

I haven't finalised my battery selection yet but will do so soon. Same with the charging system.

Pictures coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 PM

skullbearer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Build thread: Ninja 250 conversion.

I'm looking forward to it! My bro has a Ninja 250 himself, and its a hoot to ride bone stock. I can't even imagine with the excess low speed torque that an electric conversion could potentially have.

One of the most fun bikes to ride around corners too!

I'm so white I could be used to bounce high quality laser data signals back.

I'm so white there's a paint color called Skullbearer. It's primer.

I'm so white I listen to rap songs in my Honda.

I'm so white my radio has never been stolen because I hide it from others.

I'm so white I lock my car doors on the freeway.

I'm so white I wrote this signature.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:45 AM

whisperer is on a distinguished road

This donor was pretty messed up. The wiring and fuel system was nasty. I never even tried to start it, I just stripped it down.....

I ride all the time and have a Maxim X Yamaha 700. Smoking hot bike that looks like a cruiser. It will do 130 mph, a 13 second quarter mile, or roll down main street like it owns the place. I wish winter wasn't coming up so fast. That's one of the reasons I chose a bike for my first EV conversion.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:05 PM

EJockey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EJockey

I just bought a used 2008 kawasaki ninja 250r for conversion this winter. It will be my first build and I've been doing a lot of research. I will be going to a week long electric car conversion workshop in WA at the end of October and then commence my own build on the kawa. At this point I'm totally at the R&D point, but i hope to incorporate Lifepo4 batteries, perm 132 motor, and havn't decided on the controller yet or whether i will use regen braking or not.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:24 PM

hppyfngy is on a distinguished road

I'm starting a Ninja conversion too. Still r&d for me as well. I was thinking about going with the kit from electricmotorsports:

Includes: E-tek-RT Motor, Alltrax AXE 7234, Magura Twist grip throttle, Contactor, Wire kit, Fuse and holder.

Price...........$1195

Not sure though, budget is a little tight. Also haven't decided on batteries.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 PM

BradQuick is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the project. I have a 2003 Ninja 250 that I converted over a year ago. It's a lot of fun.

Here some info on my build, although it's not up to date:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums...p=67172#p67172

- Brad
Old 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM

EJockey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EJockey

Hey, i haven't been to that Electric motor sports site yet. That's a pretty good resource, thanks! They have a decent hub motor there, the EVT Hub. I actually want to go with a rear wheel hub motor, but they don't seem to make them with the specs that i'd like to have in my bike yet. I really like the idea of doing away with the drive train and all the loss of enegy that is associated with it. I was actually thinking about mounting the perm motor in the rear hub, although that would require a lot of fabrication and engineering. Do you know of anybody who has used the EVT Hub motor?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 PM

hppyfngy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradQuick View Post
Good luck with the project. I have a 2003 Ninja 250 that I converted over a year ago. It's a lot of fun.

Here some info on my build, although it's not up to date:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums...p=67172#p67172

- Brad
Yes Brad, I'm somewhat familiar with your build. Curios about your change in batteries...

Can you share that story? I am really torn abut batteries.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:33 PM

BradQuick is on a distinguished road

I started out with Headway batteries. I couldn't get my homemade low voltage cutoff to work because the speed controller put out too much noise for my controllers, so I relied on a balancing charger and not running the batteries down too far.

The lithium batteries were light weight and I got over a 20 mile range, but I kept having cell failures. I'd be less than half way discharged and one cell would go to zero and since I had four in parallel, all four would reverse charge. I replaced four cells once, then had four more, which I replaced with A123's, then when 4 more went, I gave up.

I switched over to six B&B 35 amp hour AGMs. The bike got much heavier and I now only have a 15 mile range, but I'm glad I made the switch. They are very reliable. I wish I had started with the AGMs. I could have saved a lot of money.

- Brad
Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 PM

john818 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJockey View Post
I actually want to go with a rear wheel hub motor, but they don't seem to make them with the specs that i'd like to have in my bike yet.
Came across this guy today. He's selling hub motors for motorcycles.
http://www.doingitall.net/EnerTrac/index.php

He's currently putting a hub motor on a 2009 Ninja 250 and has a couple bikes on the EVAlbum. Don't know much about him or his products. Originally found him on Crystalyte's site. Read about the Ninja project on another forum.

Share or Bookmark this