Build your own DC Motor - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Technical Discussion

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2008, 02:55 PM

Beshires1 is on a distinguished road
Default Build your own DC Motor

I'm in the process of building a DC Motor Entirely from scratch. Every piece of this motor is made from salvaged parts. The armature shaft is actually a TH350 input lockup shaft from a transmission. Anyone with helpful ideas please help me out. I'm keeping up with the process on my web site: http://sites.google.com/site/diydcmotors/

Safe Sites LINKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 03:07 PM

etischer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Build your own DC Motor

Wear your safety glasses, might even recommend a helmet with face sheild encase anything broke apart!

You had my whole desk vibrating with that video!

Very impressed with what you have made from junk! What RPM are you hitting? Got pictures of the motor, hard to see what's what in the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beshires1 View Post
I'm in the process of building a DC Motor Entirely from scratch. Every piece of this motor is made from salvaged parts. The armature shaft is actually a TH350 input lockup shaft from a transmission. Anyone with helpful ideas please help me out. I'm keeping up with the process on my web site: http://sites.google.com/site/diydcmotors/
Old 08-03-2008, 04:06 PM

Etischer, Yes I take precautions (It makes me nervous as hell testing these creations). This small three coil rotor design uses 1" rare earth magnets (field) The brushes used in this one are Volkswagen generator brushes.I rely on Goop Glue to electrically insulate and to hold things in place. Here is a better video of this one so you can see the BB pole shoes in the armature, the commutator and the magnets. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5384542111527841740

Safe Sites LINKS
Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 AM

OHM is on a distinguished road

I see the DC motor as a supreme torque motor like a diesel ICE would dream to be so wouldnt it be better to make full use of its qualities or shortcomings and design it as a pancake style instead of a cigar?

Then it could be direct driven with a driveshaft and run at less rpm, less heat and less wear. Armature will be shorter and lighter, Copper windings
will cool themselves better, no?

Imagine two 13inch by 7 inch motors side by side each connected to a wheel to power and acting like an LSD. Max of 1500rpm wouldnt
that work?

Last edited by OHM; 08-04-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 AM

etischer will become famous soon enough

a pancake motor would probably have more than 3 windings and would be difficult to balance. I think this guys off to a great start.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 AM

manic_monkey is on a distinguished road

the motor looks great. what are you using as core material for the coils? I always thought iron filings set in epoxy would make a half decent and easy to form core material.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:29 PM

manic monkey, You guessed it the core will be filled with cast steel shot and epoxy. I have ordered 20 lbs Cast Steel Shot/ Grit - S-280 Amasteel. I'm thinking about filling the entire 4" Pipe full with this mixture. The strips of PVC that are screwed to the outside can also be cast and replaced with this epoxy steel mixture.
eticher, this larger armature will have six coils. But that's the beauty of this design I will be able to remove three coils or run the planned six coils, by changing the coil to commutator jumper cables ( I Haven't got to this part yet). I'm planning on this motor to be slightly modular in that I won't be stuck with one motor and its preformance. Thanks for the Interest

Safe Sites LINKS
Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 AM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beshires1 View Post
You guessed it the core will be filled with cast steel shot and epoxy. I have ordered 20 lbs Cast Steel Shot/ Grit - S-280
Hey Dude,

The words "Rotary Pipe Bomb" come to mind?

major
Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 AM

aeroscott is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic_monkey View Post
the motor looks great. what are you using as core material for the coils? I always thought iron filings set in epoxy would make a half decent and easy to form core material.
I have been thinking amorphous steel nanopowder . made with a plasma torch , cooling gas and scrap steel . the super fast cooling makes amorphous non
crystalline
iron or steel said to be 4% improvement in
efficiency
. the
evaporating
metal on
condensing
makes
nanoparticles
that are amorphous . how about a 96% pm motor . how come I get these green split up posts.

Last edited by aeroscott; 08-06-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
Hey Dude,

The words "Rotary Pipe Bomb" come to mind?

major
No, I really don"t think about it. Hell I consider myself lucky driving to work and back, without ever having a accident.The odds are the same I guess. But to ease everyones mind. To be honest, when I finish, you couldn't destroy this thing with a bomb. Of course it might make it difficult to find. Thanks for your concern.

Safe Sites LINKS

Share or Bookmark this