DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Calb se

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  onegreenev 
#1 ·
I now have all my 64 CALB SE 100ah cells bottom balanced and ready to install in my Roadster. Im going to take out the aluminum panels from my motor compartment and remove the motor and turn the motor so no terminals show. A clean look. I am going to route the battery cables to the controller through the firewall so there is only a short connection to the controller. The cables to the motor will also be done in a short run fashion to minimize the clutter and to make it look nice All other connections will be under and or behind the firewall inside the car. Since it is an open top its OK because there will not be any enclosed area for toxic smoke if something happens to blow.

Those 60 cells make a pretty large block of batteries. So that makes it a 192 volt system. The max allowed I can do with my controller. It won't be over volting the controller but it will be at its maximum allowable. So like a 19 kWh pack. Should do fine and I will keep my battery amperage to a safe 500 amps. Motor amps will be 900 amps. Should haul butt.

Leaf Modules are coming along nicely as well. Im using dual motors and my JLD404 and my JLD540 volt meter connected to a switch and contactor and 12 volt power supply to power the contactor. I set the high voltage to 7.05 volts and the low to 7 volts. This when done will leave the module at a 7.04 volts and when the battery won't bounce up to 7.05 volts in 5 minutes I terminate the discharge. All cells are within a 7.12 an 7.16 volts. That is on the low end of the discharge curve. The cells are also well balanced too. Because if you recall the Leaf Modules are two parallel 2 series in a module. So each half is balanced properly. I can discharge to a specified level with my PowerLab 8 on each half of a module if the module happens to be out of balance. None so far have been out of balance. But I must confess that when setting this up this time I screwed up and the discharge kept going until it reach zero under load. Bounced back to just under 1 volt and the module swelled ever so slightly. Its not going to be used for any project. I consider it dead. I have 5 others bad so I need to buy more.

I do not recommend you buy from the source I got mine from because they will not respond to my emails or calls and they did promise 2 year guarantee and they did promise to replace 5 of the bad ones. All others are in great condition for used salvaged Leaf Packs. All within 58ah so well in the limits of the cells. The prices of $100 bucks per module are too high so I will hunt for lower but will need reasonably new cells so I can know I have at least 58 ah in each module to match what I have.

I have my AC-35 ready and need an adaptor. I have a nice 9" DC motor built by Jim Husted and an adaptor that fits the early BMW 2002. If someone wants to buy me an adaptor from Jack Rickard for the VW I will let you have the motor/adaptor. It needs to be a VW adaptor so I can mount my AC-35 to my VW Bus.

Pete :)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.