the Chevy Volt is fine by me - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > Production EVs and Hybrids > Production EVs

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 PM

mechman600 is on a distinguished road
Default the Chevy Volt is fine by me

At the very least, GM is heading in the right direction with the Volt. Sure, it may not have a 100 mile range like the Leaf, but for 80% of commuters, 40 miles is plenty. And the lack of range anxiety may be enough to sway the "non EV types" to go for it. But, the one big complaint about the Volt (especially on this forum) that I am getting sick of hearing is the fact that it's really not an EV, but a hybrid, just because the engine can physically drive the wheels. Oh no..what were they thinking? Answer: they were thinking about efficiency. When the batteries are depleted and you are relying on an ICE to do the work, it is usually more efficient to mechanically drive the wheels instead of charging the batteries to power a motor to drive the wheels, especially at higher speeds. When are people going to realize this? It must be a severe case of hybrid-phobia or something. Sure, they could have made a pure EV, but I believe that North America needs a stepping stone first. Maybe they will release a BEV soon enough.

Last edited by mechman600; 11-03-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 07:53 AM
gottdi

Default Re: the Chevy Volt is fine by me

The Prius costs less then the Leaf and the Prius is a Hybrid. The Volt is a Hybrid and more expensive than the Leaf. Hows that going to work. I'd rather just go get a Prius if I wanted a hybrid because it is a proven model. I't's not that its Hybrid Phobia but the fact that they have been calling it an ALL electric DRIVE when in fact it is not. They don't have a very good track record and they DO lie. There has been no advertising of the Volt while the Leaf has been advertising and there is not any place where I can actually go drive one unless I know someone on the inside that happens to have on in their possession and hope they don't get caught allowing someone to test drive with out permission. The Volt is about as real is a donkey on a ski. The Leaf on the other hand is moving forward and allowing test drives and all that sort of stuff. It is real and pretty darn nice too.

Gotta have a stone to step on if you intend to be a stepping stone. Leaf is the first stone this time around. GM took their stone away years ago, remember!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 AM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottdi View Post
......but the fact that they have been calling it an ALL electric DRIVE when in fact it is not.
Hi gottdi,

I have been following the Volt development and never heard anyone of authority connected with the project claim this. What they have said and is fact is that the Volt can be driven "ALL electric" for a certain distance before switching to a gasoline assisted drive (read hybrid).

And this fellow seemed to like the volt. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ad.php?t=51552 You have your opinion. If you don't like it, don't buy one. I happen to like it, although I probably will never buy one, unless they bring out a pick-up truck version.

major
Old 11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
gottdi

More like gasoline assisted Range Extender. Nothing was stated either in the beginning about the engine actually being coupled to the drive component. Only that it was an electric car with a gas range extender. When all along its just a different implementation of a Hybrid style car. I am not overly impressed with the rollout and advertising, nor am I impressed with what it can actually do. It looks good. That is about the extent of the matter. If it were more in line price wise with an upper end Prius I'd be very serious about the Volt. As it is I am not.

The biggest problem is that they have not been clear about any of it. More of a PR stunt to me from the history they have.

Pete
Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottdi View Post
The biggest problem is that they have not been clear about any of it.
I don't know, Pete, who you have been listening to. They said it would run on batteries only for a distance (I heard like 40 miles----depending) and then switch to gasoline/electric. Which is what they brought out, isn't it? What is unclear? Why is it a problem? Beats me

The hybrid architecture and details of the system were decided by their design team and presumably chosen to best accomplish their objectives. At least they are selling these vehicles instead of leasing them as they did with the EV1. So one would presume they have a greater degree of confidence that this technology is here to stay. I think it is a step in the right direction. Like I said before:

The Volt will make a Potential Difference.

major
Old 11-04-2010, 05:41 PM
gottdi

With in the past 4 months I will agree with you. However during the past year and a half or so it has really only been speculation about the drive line but on the PR posts and stuff you see all the time about what ever it has been stated that it was an all electric drive with a backup generator providing power to the motor and batteries so you have in effect a set up like the diesel electric trains. Generator power to power the more efficient electric drive motor rather than the gas engine running the whole setup. It was what was to intriguing about the whole Volt thing. Something new and revolutionary to blow the masses away. Well it's far from that. Once the cat was out of the bag I just went holy crap and basically just ditched the Volt as a prospective vehicle. Really. I was sorely disappointed.

Did you have inside information that said from the beginning that the Volt was going to be a dual drive Hybrid and not an all electric drive? It has been stated in posts all over the internet that the car was being hailed as an electric car with gas range extender. Not an Electric/Gas drive with an on board generator for charging the batteries.

I'd love to see a post or original posting from GM when it was announce that the Volt was truly an Electric/Gas Drive with a generator on board. They did not announce until recently that the drive component was in fact an Electric/Gas. Just a different version of a Prius.

Pete
Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM
gottdi

Actually they are not really selling them but the Dealers will be at inflated prices. The Leaf on the other hand will not be sold at inflated prices from what the manufacturer intended. Kudos for the Leaf and only if you know someone on the inside will you even have a slightest chance to get a Volt at an already inflated price. Thank you much I will stick with the Leaf or Prius of for that matter the Ford Focus Hybrid.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough

The problem is they have purposly muddied the waters by calling it an EV. It's not an EV, it's a hybrid. They even tried to create the new REEV moniker, Range Extended Electric Vehicle, which is simply a PHEV. PHEV's are great, but they aren't EV's. As Jack Richard says, if I have to put gas in it it's not an EV.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:01 PM
gottdi

Quote:
Why is it a problem? Beats me
Well it's not a super problem. It is that every one is in the mindset that it was to be an all electric drive with gas generator assist for those long distances. I fully understand building into the system a way to drive in Gas ONLY mode but when you expect one thing and get another it can be problematic for the company. I think the car if it actually does get sold will do OK just like the Ford Focus or Prius but the price will really have to come down for that to happen. Really. I just wanted to see a full electric drive with gas/generator range extender. But in reality it is not that but just another Prius. Is there in fact two electric motors on board? One Drive and one Generator? And maybe the gas engine will in an emergency or super steep grade couple in to boost the electric drive? I really see no reason to do that unless the electric drive motor is not very powerful. My take is that the electric has more torque and power for things like acceleration and hills. So why would you need an assist boost from a less efficient gas engine. I was (really ) under the impression that it was truly an all electric drive with that tiny gas generator for extra electrical boost when needed and to extend the range when the initial battery pack became low enough so you'd need that extra battery juice and power for the elecric drive. I am sure like the prius that the battery will not be allowed to go under a specific voltage before the generator turned on.

Anyway Perception is a big thing and if it is let down at all it will hurt the manufacturer. For what it is it is way over priced. Will it work, sure. Can you drive in electric only, yes. It might just work but I think the all electric is going to take the lead. The size of the Leaf battery pack is really tiny and could be installed onto an accessory trailer to give a range extension and double the mileage or more. Granted a lithium pack is expensive but then again so is the Volt. We all know the expense of the Electric vehicles.

Pete

I think I will stop my ranting. I take my stand with the Leaf and you the Volt. May they both succeed.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
It's not an EV, it's a hybrid.
You guys seem to have formed misconceptions about the vehicle from information which I think was not coming from GM. They from the very beginning called it an Extended Range Electric Vehicle, EREV. And that it is. If you never drive it over 30 or 40 miles inbetween charges, it is an EV running on batteries only. It gets full performance in the EV mode. Never having to start the engine to climb a hill, go fast or run the air conditioner. There is one exception as explained in an earlier post, that the engine needs to run a half tank of gas every 6 months to keep the fuel from going stale. Is that too much to ask? If you have bought the Volt, presumably you have wanted the extended range feature and won't mind using 10 gallons of gas a year to have the feature.

As to how the gasoline engine extends the range, what better method is there than what they appear to have chosen? If you need to travel 400 miles on the interstate highway at 75 miles per hour, don't you think that a direct mechanical connection between the engine and the wheels will be more efficient than a series hybrid with the extra two energy conversions?

Again, I have watched this from the beginning, read about it in Automotive Engineering Magazine and attended an SAE conference last year where several engineering managers from the Volt program spoke and fielded questions. They never called it an EV or HEV or PHEV.......Always an EREV.

major

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
hybrid, range anxiety, volt