Conversion of Snapper Rear Engine Rider with 56V EGO Lithium batteries - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Non Road Going Vehicles

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2016, 10:24 PM

merkurmaniac is on a distinguished road
Default Conversion of Snapper Rear Engine Rider with 56V EGO Lithium batteries

So I got a hold of an old snapper rer (rear engine rider) mower and have restored it with my son. This thing has a 12hp gas engine on it. I have seen several conversions where people have junked the gas engine and replaced it with a 48V shunt motor and four car batteries. Thing is, I don't have four car batteries, and it seems old school to go buy them.

What I do have is a set of three 2Ahr batteries, and a single 4Ahr battery from the EGO 56V tools sold at Home Depot. I have researched a bit and found that the batteries can output 20 amps each. So, I'd like to know how many of these batteries in parallel, would it take to run a good motor that could replace the gas engine in performance. Run time would need to be 30 minutes or less.

I have seen a few builds where people ran them off big car batteries and got hours of run time, but I won't need that much. If I need to buy more batteries, I'd prefer them to be Lithium, rather than lead acid, as the weight has got to be a huge difference, when we are talking four or five batteries.

I am open to suggestions, both for motor type and for battery quantity. I would take them off the mower and charge them individually, like was originally done with the EGO tools. I know that I will need some kind of safe contactor and a circuit breaker, but hopefully no motor controller. The mower gas engine ran at a constant speed and has a five speed transmission and a separate belt driven mechanism to run the blades, or not.

I like the old mower, I just have a beef with the smell and the noise, but I know I am in a sympathetic place for that.

Thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016, 08:02 AM

piotrsko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conversion of Snapper Rear Engine Rider with 56V EGO Lithium batteries

You would be better off finding a partial electric car pack from a leaf, volt, whatever. Cheap and easy is a used brushed motor about 48 volts perhaps from an electric forklift.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:25 PM

merkurmaniac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conversion of Snapper Rear Engine Rider with 56V EGO Lithium batteries

I am giving up on the idea of the 56V Home Depot EGO batteries and I am sort of homing in on this plan:

Manta II 10 hp DC electric motor 12 24 48 Etek / Motenergy Permanent Magnet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manta-II-10-...-/331610128568

And to power it, using a 48V Module from a used Chevy Bolt. I know that I will need a contactor, and a large fuse, some safety disconnects, and the like. A couple questions about the lithium battery though:

What is the simplest way to charge it ? I will have days of time to recharge it, so speed is not a big issue. I am guessing that a BMS would help maintain the life of the battery, but I also am guessing that if I had none, it would probably still be fine, as long as the charger was at least a little sophisticated.

Also, I imagine that with the 4hp motor, it may draw 100 amps (and maybe up to 300 per the motor) but unlikely. At that rate, I would think that the battery will need no cooling and should last a very long time. I would mow for maybe an hour or so, max, each week.

Also, if this battery would be very oversized, is it worth investigating any NiMH options (like from a prius) or would any vehicles besides the Volt yield a 48V battery that might be lighter and smaller, and obviously less cap[acity, but maybe still enough.

Piotrsko, I have read a bunch of your Chevy Volt battery stuff. Complicated, but very interesting.

TIA, Richard

Last edited by merkurmaniac; 02-28-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:46 AM

stifflkd is on a distinguished road

I have converted a 48" commercial walk behind to electric a few years ago. Best to go Li ion. Lead acids are too heavy and lack the capacity.
Try this guy (Nick)

http://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/inde...ing&Itemid=680

I have no affiliation but he can offer a package of Leaf batteries with BMS either as a DIY or package. Don't leave off the BMS. Even with a smart charger the BMS will balance/bleed the individual cells.

As for a motor take a look at the Motenergy ME1004. It uses a 1" shaft that is standard on most lawn tractors so you should be able to use the same pulley. The motor also spins at 3600 rpm @ 48V which matches closely to the originl ICE specs. Add a simple contactor and you should be good to go.

Assume you'll be drawing 100-120 A on average with rider, blades engaged and moving at a comfortable speed to determine your run time.

Share or Bookmark this