DC to AC switch - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 11:17 PM

dragonsgate is on a distinguished road
Default DC to AC switch

I have been driving a 1984, X19 that I converted about twelve years ago. It has a basic set up with the advance DC FB 4001 motor, and Cutis controller @ 144 volts with fla batts. The car curbs at 2,760 lbs. It has been a good setup giving satisfactory performance. There a lot of hills here in the Ozarkís and regen would be great asset for breaking with the addition of putting a little juice back in the pack. I have been looking at the ac50 kit and what little I have read so far looks pretty good. My concern is the torque and a little hp I will lose in the switch. The ADC puts out about 85 hp peak and 180 lbs torque. The ac50 depending on witch sellerís hype you read delivers 65-67 hp and 110-115 lbs torque and I have read as low as an actual 90 lbs torque. The stock Fiat X19 1500cc engine produces 67 horses @ 5,250 rpm and an amazing 75.9 lbs torque @ 3,000 rís. (It is what is called acceleration with out exhilaration.) In my limited research I read that an ac motor is better in hills than a dc. It is about 12 miles from my house to Wal-Mart. Getting there is fun because it is mostly down hill. Coming back one of those hills I went down is now up and is pretty close to a mile long lazy S curve and at least ĺ of it is 5% grade. I can make that hill at 60 mph (limit is 55) in third gear all the way if I donít run up on some tourist from Kansas driving up hill with their foot on the break. I then have to slow down to 40 sometimes 30 mph. Forty on a grade in third is not good and a clutchless down shift loses a lot of momentum. Either way I have chewed up some extra amps. I can ramble on but what I want is any kind of input on what any of you think of this switch or what experience you have with the ac50. Has anyone gone from a setup similar to mine to an ac50 or something close?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 AM

mizlplix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: DC to AC switch

D: As with anything, AC/DC choice is a trade off.

Meaning, an AC motor is softer than an equal DC motor in lower end torque. But it does have a wider RPM band. Unfortunately the AC motor loses torque as RPMs rise. So that upper band is soft on torque.

An AC motor might be the hot deal for you, but I can not really pretend to be an expert.

Yes, my AC50 allows me to use a two speed power glide. But I live in Flatville America, so I can get away with it.

You need someone with exp. in a hilly area to chime in.

Miz
Old 05-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Thanks Miz. You have helped more than you might think. The trade off is what I am trying to sort out. Will I miss the extra torque the dc gives over ac? I will have to dig a little more before I make any purchases.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:38 PM

zsnemeth is on a distinguished road

Just a different angle: You might consider a fla to lithium upgrade. Could save few hundred pounds on weight, probably less voltage sag at the hills....
Just an idea.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 PM

You are a right about the lithium batteries. Lithium beats out lead in just about everyway. That said I am on my third pack in twelve years at a total cost of $4500. If I had bought lith or their equivalent in 1999 for twice what they are now I would most likely be needing a new pack by now. If for some reason I needed a new set of lead batteries I could spring for the $2,000 with little if any disharmony in the marital union. On the other hand if something happened and I come in and say honey I need another $10K to replace the batteries I bought last year I would be lucky if she gave me time to pack my bags much less a ride to the bus station. Just about any scenario you can throw at me I have come up with already. The setup I have now has worked with no real problems so far. My main reason for looking at Ac is for the braking.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:09 PM

mizlplix will become famous soon enough

You will maximise the torque if you gear the rear end to give you 5,500RPMs at 60MPH.

You can use what ever trans gear you want.

The AC50 likes to pull there. The torque starts to fall off from there.

You actually live in a bad place for regen. You need to pull a hill with a full charge. Then regen back to home. You start witha full pack and regen it more.....

Miz

Share or Bookmark this