DC motor options and questions - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Bikes

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2017, 05:03 PM

Matej is on a distinguished road
Default DC motor options and questions

Hello gentlemen,
Could anyone please help me clear up some questions about DC motors for motorcycle conversions?

I would like to build and convert an old cruiser/cafe motorcycle sometime this year. The bike would mostly be used for commuting to work and cruising around town, but I would like it to be fast enough to go on the highway at least for a few miles, if ever necessary or desired.

Right now the only 'powerful enough' DC motors that I am aware of are the ME1003 and the PMG 132.
Both are rated at up to 72V, although I have found a few people on the internet running them at 80-100V. Ideally I would like a 96-144V motor, but I am not aware of any that go that high. Finding room to fit the batteries for such voltages may pose an issue, but I plan to use pouch cells, so I think it can be done.

Here are my questions:
Are the motors neutrally timed?
Can they be reversed without issues?
Are they or can they be advanced like series wound motors?

Of course, those questions are all related to each other.

Also, what would be the maximum safe voltages to run the motors at? I know I said that I saw them used at 100V, but I assume that is pushing it.
I would use the Curtis 1221 or 1231 controller, or possibly the ZEVA 600, which should all be good for any usable voltage and current.

If you have any other motor suggestions that I should look into, I would greatly appreciate it. I know there are some neat brushless pancake motors, but initially I would like to start off with something cheap and simple, as long as it can meet my needs.
However, I am new to the two-wheel side of EV converting, so I welcome all input.
Thank you.
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 06:35 AM

major is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: DC motor options and questions

Hi Mate,

Unless you want to limit performance and forget about jumping onto highways loaded with fast cars, do not use a brushed PM motor. They're bound to fail. Some of the brushless PM (BLDC or PMAC) are robust and/or have thermal protection. Also, I suspect you'd have trouble with the controllers on the brushed PM. Curtis will miss the field inductance. Advance is said to useless on brushed PM, although I've seen engineers fuss with it for hours on racebikes with dual Agni drives.

DC motor for a bike is a tough call. In the wound fields, for controller sake, series is the way. Figure to fashion overspeed protection in case of chain fail. You can advance and overvolt. Just resign to the mass and deal with it. Call it a trade for the gearbox which isn't needed.

Good luck.

major
Old 03-16-2017, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the input, major.

Are there any compact 72-144V series motors that you would recommend? The narrowest ones I know of are the Warp8 and Impulse9, but even those are still too wide for a bike.

Also, what are some BLDC and PMAC motors and controllers that people commonly use? If the price step-up is not as drastic as it is for cars, then I am definitely open to it.

Finally, are there any hub motors worth looking into?

Thank you again.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 PM

major is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the rough

Member Yabert did a nice job with a 6.6" dia series D&D motor. http://www.evalbum.com/3020. He has a great build thread.

Hub/wheel motor-- forgetaboutit.

Forgot to mention ACIM. HPEVS AC12 or AC15 could do nicely.

major
Old 03-17-2017, 09:26 AM

Yabert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
Member Yabert did a nice job with a 6.6" dia series D&D motor.
Yes, but that was in 2008... the motor took all the place needed for battery (low experience = bad design )
If I had to restart today, I would think about the ME1003, but I think my best option would be to find a used motor from a Brammo or a Zero motorcycle... or open my wallet wide: http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev...tor-drive-kits
Old 03-17-2017, 04:04 PM

Totally forgot about D&D. It seems that they do have several smaller footprint series motors.

It actually looks kind of cool when the motor sticks out of the side, as long as it does not protrude too far.

Their motors are neutrally timed from what I can tell, so it may be possible to advance them for more voltage.
Now if only they had all their motors pictured with detailed specs on their website, instead of having to hunt for information on the internet.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:49 PM

riba2233 is on a distinguished road

Look into Agni motors, most common are 72 V, but there are 100v and 144V versions. You can adjust brush position, but little advancing is recommended. They have great workshop manual. Motenergy is similar, bit wider and heavier but cheaper and no high voltage option.

Share or Bookmark this