DC Motor Suppliers - UK - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Motors

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 06:10 AM

Jordysport is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jordysport
Default Re: DC Motor Suppliers - UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmillsy View Post
Thanks - car not confirmed yet but will be Vectra sized. I'm intending to use it (eventually!) for commuting to and from work.

Hmm... 2k! I'm starting to see why the Kostov motors are a popular choice here in Europe. I'm assuming if you did purchase a motor from the factory it would be up to you to pay VAT/Import charges!
You won't pay any VAT/Import charges if you buy a Kostov motor (in the EU) if you buy a Netgain motor from the US you will have to pay customs, vat etc etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Administrator

skooler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordysport View Post
You won't pay any VAT/Import charges if you buy a Kostov motor (in the EU) if you buy a Netgain motor from the US you will have to pay customs, vat etc etc.
Not Quite,

You still need to pay VAT for the country its purchased from.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Admin: 'one of many'

Woodsmith will become famous soon enough

Have you considered used motors from a forklift truck as another option?
Here's one on Ebay. No connection to me, just been watching it for a while.

I have a 12" milk float motor, an 11" fork truck motor, a 9" fork truck motor and a 7" golf buggy motor in my workshop to play with.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM

jjmillsy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsmith View Post
Have you considered used motors from a forklift truck as another option?
Here's one on Ebay. No connection to me, just been watching it for a while.

I have a 12" milk float motor, an 11" fork truck motor, a 9" fork truck motor and a 7" golf buggy motor in my workshop to play with.
I've had a look at some forklift motors, but didn't exactly know what I was looking for when I started researching them last week. I saw that same one on eBay and interestingly googled up an old eBay sale where the same motor sold for 75!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Admin: 'one of many'

Woodsmith will become famous soon enough

It is possible to find a usable motor and the sticky thread about forklift motors can help, if you can trawl through it.

That motor is a bit costly and I do seem to remember it the first time round now that you mention it.
My 12" cost 100, the 11" cost 150 with the whole forklift axle and wheels still attached, scrapping the axle and wheels got most of the money back. (However, with the second broken axle on my tractor I am thinking maybe I should have kept that 4 ton fork truck axle for it!)

There is a forklift spares place in Chesterfield that has motors for around 300. Even with an overhaul at a motor shop it would still be cheaper then a new one though perhaps less of a known quantity. However, if cost is part of the issue then it might be worth a look.

Major is one of the motor gurus here who can help you identify a good motor from a bad one but there are some general rules that can keep you on the right track. Many of us here can help with the basics if you need it.

Alternatively, if you have a very light vehicle there is always the Agni motors available through JozzTec AKA Jozzer on this forum.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM

TTmartin is on a distinguished road

[QUOTEHmm... 2k! I'm starting to see why the Kostov motors are a popular choice here in Europe. I'm assuming if you did purchase a motor from the factory it would be up to you to pay VAT/Import charges![/QUOTE]

Hi if it's of any help,

I was where you are now about 6 months ago, looked high and low for the right motor. Came to the conclusion Kostov was the best option for us in the UK, I wanted a K10" but they were out of stock with a 1 month lead time so I purchased a K11" 192v, direct from Kostov in Bulgaria, first class service, may use them again soon for my batteries.
At the moment they don't supply the soliton controllers, (Rebbi) in the Netherlands are the sole suppliers in Europe. My soliton 1 came from them.

By the way you do pay VAT.
Shipping was arranged by Kostov, cost me 185, DHL.
I don't think you could do it cheaper if you picked up yourself.
If you go the second hand route you need to know your motors or know some one that does.
If you check out the UK battery vehicle society forum there was a netgain impulse 9 for sale, second hand from a shelved project, it may still be a available? I nearly bought it, but I was told it was a warp 9. Then found it was the smaller impulse 9 so decided against buying it for my tt conversion.

Hope this helps

Share or Bookmark this