DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Direct drive vs. Keeping tranny

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dpringle 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm converting my Probe and just got the ICE out today. I was doing some more research into what drive system I want, and someone pointed me in the direction of the TransWarp series by Netgain.

I'm intrigued with the idea of going direct drive. I would love to get rid of the transaxle that the Probe had originally. I know that most of the gears won't be used (often or at all) and think it is a wasted burden for the motor to propel. So, the next thing to think of is direct. The TransWarP series include a 'coupler' to attach to a standard universal joint.

My questions are is it possible to make this work with a FWD vehicle and is it worth the hassle?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Not worth the hassle in my opinion. You'd need to create some custom way to hook the transwarp yolk to a cv joint driveshaft, and you'd lose the ability to change gearing for different driving conditions, plus you'd have to electronically reverse the motor instead of using a reverse gear. I think you'd lose more in efficiency by not being able to select the proper gear than you'd gain by not having a transmission.
The only way I see a transwarp being worth it is in a very lightweight high voltage rear wheel drive setup.

#3 ·
Personally, I like gears (1, 2, & 3)

Today I went some back road and had to down shift to first when I couldn’t maintain speed at 250A on a curvy, half mile grade (a personal limitation to avoid motor and long term battery damage). That meant 22-25MPH (axle ratio 2.56) at that amperage. Road speed limit 35. The beat up, rusty S10 behind me passed on a double yellow line and almost hit a motorcycle that crested the hill. I know I don’t own the road, but why someone can’t put up with an EV for half a mile or less doing 25, I can’t explain. They do for a loaded dump truck. But I’m not about to fry my equipment because of their “Speed Racer” mentality. For the most part, I try to keep up with most (not all) traffic, so as not give EVs bad press.

As for gears, I think it was Solectra that took a Geo Prism(?) and “pinned” the transmission to second gear. They assumed that excessive motor amperage would seldom happen. I guess it worked out for them. (Any owner feedback?) Starting out in second IS slow in my ride.

My 9” ADC motor is designed to run at 3-4k RPM to keep its cool continuously at 182A max (26HP) 205A for 1 hr, 340A for 5 minutes.

So, what are your motor RPM design specs? What grades will you encounter? How well can you merge into traffic with no transmission?

94 S10 120V 1400# of lead Syn trans lube

#6 ·
Recycle exhaust cat 4 $$$

Saw on your blog that you removed the exhaust system. Where's the cat? Yesterday I took the 2 cats from my 98Tahoe to a recycle yard and got $40 each!!! Helped pay for the replacement pipe. Price varies per vehicle.
Just thought I'd mention it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.