DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Discharge rates for LiFePO4

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sunking 
#1 ·
CALB specification for their CA series batteries is 2C continuous discharge.

I am using CA100 and 200 amps continuous is more than sufficient for cruising. What are "acceptable" discharge rates for acceleration from a red light? Entering onto a freeway? Climbing a hill?

Are there "acceptable norms" for duration at 3C, 4C, 5C? I want to protect my investment.... but 2C is pretty whimpy.

#3 · (Edited)
If you are using 2C at cruise means you battery is way to small. Stop and think about what that means. That means you are fully discharged in 20 minutes and waiting for a tow truck. Additionally your acceleration is going to be very sluggish from voltage sag.

I do not know what voltage you are running but a CALB CALB 100 AH cell has .0012 ohms of internal resistance. So if you are running 45S for 144 volts at cruise your battery terminal voltage sags 200 amps x .0012 x 45 = 133.2 volts, and at 6C sags to 111.6 volts which might very well cause a Low Voltage Disconnect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.