DIY PHEV Prius c? - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > Production EVs and Hybrids > Production Hybrids

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Ziggythewiz's Avatar
Ziggythewiz Ziggythewiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,973
Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: DIY PHEV Prius c?

I didn't think the C had an EV only mode.
__________________
1 EV - 11,350 e-miles in 2.5 years (7/25/13) - http://www.evalbum.com/4000
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 PM
todayican todayican is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 277
todayican is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DIY PHEV Prius c?

She does, weirdly though, if you select EV mode with the button, it seems to be limited to 25mph.

If you select ev mode with your foot (by being careful with acceleration) it will go to 34.

lastly, I have seen it as high as 40 on slight downgrades
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Ziggythewiz's Avatar
Ziggythewiz Ziggythewiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,973
Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: DIY PHEV Prius c?

In that case you just need to hack it to allow EV up to 55, or whatever your highest non-highway limit is.

With the old prius you had to hack it just to add the EV mode button, along with the higher performance.
__________________
1 EV - 11,350 e-miles in 2.5 years (7/25/13) - http://www.evalbum.com/4000
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Wild Wild is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 71
Wild is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DIY PHEV Prius c?

Quote:
Originally Posted by todayican View Post
That's what I am thinking too.

I've done some research and apparently the "regular" Prius up-converts a 168v pack to 650v and the Prius C up-converts 144v to 550v going to the electric drive.

So one would think the mission at hand is to add a string of 48 calb 60s say to make 144v for another 8.6 KWH

I (Potentially Nievely) think that since the car is limited to 34mph in ev only mode, that there shouldn't be any problem with c rating on the calbs.

Which would be "upstream" of the up-converter..

So would it be as simple as finding an appropriate 144v charger and adding the calbs to the main pack and (with luck) the main pack would simply think it was at a higher charge state then it really is (Thanks to the Calbs?
Can you explain how you will succeed in finding a charger that will successfully charge two different types of batteries? Not to mention how you will prevent burning up the original Prius battery pack.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-21-2012, 04:48 PM
todayican todayican is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 277
todayican is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DIY PHEV Prius c?

No idea, thats why I asked :-)

My vague understanding of charging is that the charger charges to a certain (set) voltage then shuts off.

If the charge voltage on pack 2 is within the "safe zone" of the main pack (IE lower then fully charged so as to not even be in danger of frying the main pack)

What I dont know (among other things) is what the operating voltage of the main pack cells are?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Wild Wild is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 71
Wild is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DIY PHEV Prius c?

Quote:
Originally Posted by todayican View Post
No idea, thats why I asked :-)

My vague understanding of charging is that the charger charges to a certain (set) voltage then shuts off.

If the charge voltage on pack 2 is within the "safe zone" of the main pack (IE lower then fully charged so as to not even be in danger of frying the main pack)

What I dont know (among other things) is what the operating voltage of the main pack cells are?
Yes, well the simple answer is you can't. You are dealing with two different battery types.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM
lottos lottos is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Competitions http://www.lottos.com.au/
Posts: 93
lottos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DIY PHEV Prius c?

With Hymotion ( http://www.hymotion.com/ ) no longer selling their kits, the market is ready for a new player.
__________________
I enjoy reading topics on electric vehicles at diyelectriccar.com and entering competitions and hopefully winning some at lottos.com.au every now and then.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Xringer Xringer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woburn MA
Posts: 119
Xringer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DIY PHEV Prius c?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggythewiz View Post
In that case you just need to hack it to allow EV up to 55, or whatever your highest non-highway limit is.

With the old prius you had to hack it just to add the EV mode button, along with the higher performance.
The 'C' stands for City.. That's where the C does it's best work.
If you look at your average speed around a congested city, it's not that fast.
My wife's 'C' can easily stay in EV up to 44 MPH (slightly downhill).



I can go get a pizza over in Lexington (it's close by) and get 70 MPG roundtrip.

My idea of a simple upgrade would be an 8A 144vdc nimh charger built in.

Topping off a half-drained pack might help the MPG.?.
We always park the 'C' in the garage between trips during the day.
If it was charging during those breaks between (mostly very short) trips,
it seems like our MPG would be improved..
Since a high percentage of those trips are in EV mode..
__________________
Cheers,
Rich
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 PM
EVPowers EVPowers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 19
EVPowers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DIY PHEV Prius c?

It certainly is possible to make a C into a Plug in Prius.

There are aftermarket kits, such as the one from Enginer, that use a separate LiFePo4 battery pack to slowly charge up the Prius' main pack.

I have done many of these kinds of conversions on Insights, Gen1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius. Should work on a Prius C as well. Would take up a bit of the storage space room though.

There are also other people I know who have made a "Universal Grid Charger" that you can use to directly charge the main hybrid pack. Wouyld just need to set it for the Prius C pack voltage.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Xringer Xringer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woburn MA
Posts: 119
Xringer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DIY PHEV Prius c?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVPowers View Post
It certainly is possible to make a C into a Plug in Prius.

There are aftermarket kits, such as the one from Enginer, that use a separate LiFePo4 battery pack to slowly charge up the Prius' main pack.

I have done many of these kinds of conversions on Insights, Gen1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius. Should work on a Prius C as well. Would take up a bit of the storage space room though.

There are also other people I know who have made a "Universal Grid Charger" that you can use to directly charge the main hybrid pack. Wouyld just need to set it for the Prius C pack voltage.
The pack voltage is 144v. It seems like it would be pretty simple to make a 120vac to 144vdc smart charger for topping off the pack.
A regular 120vac outlet is rated for 15A, so it could raise the SOC, if left on charge overnight.

I read the early Insight had a 144v pack, so maybe there are some chargers out there.?.
__________________
Cheers,
Rich
Reply With Quote
Reply

Share or Bookmark this

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
Support DIY Electric Car
Sponsors

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Ad Management by RedTyger