Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Bikes

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 02:44 PM

papaslides is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Electric Moped Conversion

Hello all, I am new here so I'm interested to hear from this community.

I am looking for help in designing an electric moped. Here is my thought, I need a commuter vehicle that can get me to and from work (about 7 miles), can make it up somewhat steep hills. And here's the real clincher, my budget is about 400-600$, with this in mind I'm thinking a DIY project. I was inspired by Ben Nelson's DIY electric motorcycle but the 2000$ price tag it was a bit beyond my needs, besides I've never been to sure about motorcycles but I feel safe in my ability to use a moped.

I am thinking buy an old moped with a dead or dying motor for cheap (around or under 100$) and put in the electronic components... possibly with (or with the ability to later upgrade) pedals for greater range/exercise, and of course the ability to move if the batteries die. Because of how many hills there are in Ann Arbor (where I live) I think designing it to use regenerative breaking would be advantageous (I'd say 40% of my commute is uphill, 40% downhill, and 20% more or less level). The 500$ or so price tag I'm aiming for is startup cost to get this thing on the road and usable, I realize some features may have to wait until later, but that 500$ needs to get me to and from work reliably and on a daily basis.

So what I'm looking for is any thoughts or ideas on how to make this possible.

Thank you

Sean
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 AM

JohninCR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Electric Moped Conversion

With some good scrounging you can very likely come in under budget. I've recently gotten an electric bicycle going, and I have plans for a powerful moped from scratch. It will be more like a motorcycle with pedals to fall outside the law here in Costa Rica.

Since you mention exercise, you may want to consider converting a bike instead. With hills you'll need a powerful motor, gearing, and or significant pedal assist, and I think you have a greater chance of disappointment in performance with a moped. On the other hand, better brakes, signal lights, and more comfortable seat and ride definitely favor the moped route, but you should raise the bar cost-wise by $200-300. It's the hills that are the kicker.

I have hills to contend with too, and here's the major cost breakdown for my moped project:

Controller $150
Motor $250
Comet torque converter (continuously variable transmission) $200

This isn't including batteries, charger, cables, sprockets, chain, etc. Plus I feel that I did well on the motor and controller through Ebay. That's not to say you can't reduce costs significantly with good scrounging, but the flip side is that easy to install complete kits for a bicycle can be had for less and you help pedal up the hills.

John
Old 05-21-2008, 02:40 PM

swampjeep is on a distinguished road

I've been researching the electric bike way too, does anyone have knowledge about these kits http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Bicycle...QQcmdZViewItem

it looks cheaper and much easier to go with something like this then to do it all from scratch, even though I woulf very much like the knowledge I would gain from piecing it all together. I just can't seem to find anythign that compares, and I can't find hub motors for close to the price of this complete kit.

EDIT: I think I like these better http://www.electricrider.com/crystalyte/index.htm

Last edited by swampjeep; 05-21-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:33 PM

electro37 is on a distinguished road

please contact me @ ronnzo_1@yahoo.com aboiut the torque converter you mentioned in the blog. I too want to build a moped for work and I have no financial "restrictions". I have never hear of torqu converters except in big old US cars!!
Thanx, electro37(Ron)
Old 05-23-2008, 06:05 PM

electro37 is on a distinguished road

thanks a million John, I'll be interested to see how you manage with the moped... our law got changed here;(after many months of petitioning and haggling with the Motor Vehiclr Branch) so that any bike with electric assist does not need a licence, Insurance, anything except a rider as long as the assisting motor does not exceed 500Watts, the bike has 14" or over diameter wheels, and cannot travel under power alone at more than 30kms/hour, so with a bit of pedalling you can go 40kms/hr. if you can pedal hard enough!!!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 PM

MitchJi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninCR View Post
\

I have hills to contend with too, and here's the major cost breakdown for my moped project:

Controller $150
Motor $250
Comet torque converter (continuously variable transmission) $200

This isn't including batteries, charger, cables, sprockets, chain, etc. Plus I feel that I did well on the motor and controller through Ebay. That's not to say you can't reduce costs significantly with good scrounging, but the flip side is that easy to install complete kits for a bicycle can be had for less and you help pedal up the hills.

John
Hi John,

Would you mind posting a link for the Controller, Motor and especially the torque convertor?

Thanks!

Mitch
Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 PM

Here's a link to the Comet Torq-A-Verter and the best price I could find. I've seen a dual Etek motor cycle that used this or a similar unit, but note that the stock design is for a gas motor, so it doesn't engage until 2200rpms. I plan to modify it to lower the engagement rpms for my electric motor. The planned result is an efficient and cheap CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) with a 2.7:1 to .9:1 gearing range, which I believe is necessary for me due the hills here. http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMiniClutc...on_id=YxLEAPcH

I bought the motor on Ebay, which was supposedly designed for a scooter that never materialized that would carry 2 people to 50mph.

My controller is a Curtis 1205-205 good for 36-48V and 350A peak, that I also picked up new on Ebay for a song. I have another slightly lower power programmable Kelly controller that I lucked out and picked up for $99 before prices went up that I could also use.

John

Ron,
You are very welcome. I'm lucky the laws here apply only to fuel powered vehicles >49cc, so as long as I have pedals there are no limits. Plus I don't have to do the annual lines or incur the costs of annual registration and inspection. Top it off with traffic laws being guidelines to establish accident fault instead of enforced rules, and efficiency in traffic becomes drastically higher with 2 wheels vs a car. ie weaving through stopped cars, sidewalks...whatever, are all fine.

Last edited by JohninCR; 05-23-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:12 PM

MitchJi is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Anyone familiar with the Nu Vinci which looks like an excellent CVT:
http://www.fallbrooktech.com/NuVinci.asp
Quote:
The patented NuVinci technology developed by Fallbrook Technologies Inc. (Fallbrook) is the most practical, economical and universally adaptable continuously variable planetary (CVP) transmission for human-powered and motor-powered vehicles and machines. The NuVinci CVP is ideally suited for applications in many major industries including bicycles, light electric vehicles, tractors, automobiles, trucks, and utility class wind turbines among others.
http://www.fallbrooktech.com/06_FAQ.asp
Quote:
NuVinci bicycle aftermarket kits are available to bicycle retailers from the following distributors:

Seattle Bike Supply www.seattlebikesupply.com
Quality Bike Products www.qbp.com

Consumers may order / purchase a NuVinci CVP drivetrain and controller as a kit by itself or pre-laced in a replacement wheel from local bicycle retailers. Ask for NuVinci.
Available here for $380:
http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...INT/SBS-138311
Quote:
NuVinci CVP Rear Hub, 36H Black
Code: SBS-138311
Price: $377.95

NuVinci CVP Rear Hub: 36h, Black. CVP (Continuously Variable Planetary) drivetrain technology with infinite number of ratios. Simple twist controller enables easy, continuous ratio adjustments while pedaling, coasting or at a stop. No missed gears, hesitation or noise. Includes CruiseController shifter and 17t freewheel. Includes Brake Kit to accommodate disc brakes, roller brakes and rim brakes.
Thanks!

Mitch
Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 AM

Update on the Comet Torq-A-Verter designed for gokarts. Comet responded to my info request that they have springs that will reduce the engagement to 1400rpm, OR "you can remove the springs all together and have instant engagement". I'm going to try the no springs route and report back.

Note: This Comet unit weighs too much and is too bulky for a bicycle solution, but it seems to make sense for an E-moped or E-motorcycle.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:19 PM

COMP is on a distinguished road

anything new ??
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this