EV Mileage Extender Trailer - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 11:27 PM

GreenEnergyConversions is on a distinguished road
Default EV Mileage Extender Trailer

I am looking for an opinion from the forum. During the design for the diesel electric hybrid conversion kit I am working on, the thought crossed my mind that I could build mileage extenders for current EV owners. The system would basically be just my engine/genset on a trailer. Option for either a 15kw or a 30kw generator with adjustable voltage regulator to match various battery pack voltages. Looking at a cost of $5k to $7k per unit.

Is this something that people whom convert their vehicles to electricity would like to purchase?

Thanks,

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 AM
gottdi

Default Re: EV Mileage Extender Trailer

I think what you need to do is to build a successful range extender trailer before even asking that question. I am sure if you can build a successful one for a reasonable price you'd be able to sell some. Can't say you'd have a huge market even if all the DIY types purchased one but you could sell some. It is still quite a small market. But you must have one that can be tested and confirmed and not a hack job. Some are already working on these but most just ask and then never follow through.

I actually don't want one that is large. Ever think of using a DC output generator?
Old 04-01-2012, 12:46 PM

GreenEnergyConversions is on a distinguished road

Gottdi,

Thanks for the input. Building the unit is not an issue. My issue was that is there even a market for them if I put some capital into the idea. It would almost seem that having one gives a person with an EV the best of both worlds. You can have a vehicle with a normal "in town" range battery pack and for long trips, you just hook up the trailer and make a hybrid with "out of town" range.

As for the dc generator, it is just as easy for me to use an ac gen and rectify the output then build a dc gen with the commutator assembly and brushes. Plus, ac gens are much more available on the open market than dc gens are. This should enable the layperson to easily replace the ac gen if it fails from locally available parts.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 04-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Zak650 is on a distinguished road

IMHO the most promising component combination are the open source 10kw diy charger, 7kw genset from Costco, and small trailer from Harbor freight.

Share or Bookmark this