Federal regulations for Anti-lock brakes? - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Technologic is on a distinguished road
Default Federal regulations for Anti-lock brakes?

I've been trying to decide between a 3 and 4 wheel build for my EV (custom) and have been looking over federal regulations for car manufacturers (the list is over 1000 pages long if anyone cares)

Is anyone aware if anti-lock brakes are required on 4 wheeled vehicles?
Here's the associated law about it (though this is just an abstract...the actual law for this section is 3 pages long and ambiguous)

Standard No. 105 - Hydraulic and Electric Brake Systems - Passenger Cars (Effective 1-1-68)
This standard specifies requirements for vehicles equipped with hydraulic and electric service brake systems and associated parking brake systems to ensure safe braking performance under normal conditions and emergency conditions.
Passenger Cars (Effective 1-1-76), School Buses (Effective 4-1-77) Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks and Buses (Effective 9-1-83) Vehicles with Electric Brake Systems (Effective 10-20-97)
All braking effectiveness tests measure stopping distance.
Passenger Cars (Effective 3-6-95 until 9-1-2000), Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks and Buses
(Effective 12-1-97 until 9-1-2002)
Manufacturers of passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles (MPVs), trucks and buses with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) less than or equal to 3,500 kg (7,716 lbs.) may certify compliance with either FMVSS No. 105 or FMVSS No. 135 described later in this booklet. After the terminal dates shown above, FMVSS No. 105 continues to apply to MPVs, Trucks and Buses with a GVWR greater than 3,500 kg (7,716 lbs.).
Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks and Buses (Effective 3-1-99) Multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses with a GVWR greater than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs.) must be equipped with an antilock brake system and meet additional stopping distance requirements.

Standard No. 135 - Light Vehicle Brake Systems - Passenger Cars (Effective 3-6-95), Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks and Buses
(Effective 12-1-97)
This standard specifies requirements for vehicles equipped with hydraulic and electric service brakes and parking brake systems to ensure safe braking performance under normal conditions and emergency conditions. Manufacturers of passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses with a gross vehicle weight rating less than or equal to 3,500 kg (7,716 lbs.) may certify compliance with either FMVSS No. 105, described earlier in this booklet, or FMVSS No. 135. The options expire on September 1, 2000 for passenger cars and on September 1, 2002 for other vehicles, on which dates compliance with FMVSS No. 135 is mandatory.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out
My car plans are shooting for <900lbs in a 4 wheel (I'm trying to bypass state laws that require helmets in 3 wheelers)

This is the archived regulations for new car manufacturers (there's actually 3 booklets... each are 1000-4000pages)
http://www.archive.org/stream/federa...9unit_djvu.txt

I've seen the federal tax code (and read portions)... it's shorter
"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so."

~P.J. Proudhon, General Idea of the Revolution in the Nineteenth Century

Last edited by Technologic; 03-01-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 PM

TheSGC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Federal regulations for Anti-lock brakes?

My 2004 Honda Civic ICE doesn't have anti-lock brakes, and neither does my 1996 Civic EV.

Also check out your laws on three wheelers. Here in MA, three wheelers are considered Motorcycles and you cannot have a canopy/top to them. So ZAP cars are not legal here and cannot be registered either.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSGC View Post
My 2004 Honda Civic ICE doesn't have anti-lock brakes, and neither does my 1996 Civic EV.

Also check out your laws on three wheelers. Here in MA, three wheelers are considered Motorcycles and you cannot have a canopy/top to them. So ZAP cars are not legal here and cannot be registered either.

This is why I'm pretty sure I'm going 4 wheels now
I realized many states either require helmets or don't even allow enclosed 3 wheelers.

Stupid, but that's how it is.

It seems that I can just fall under "kit car" regulations no matter how I build the car, which requires an inspection only.

That's really good to hear about your 2004 civic not having them... from what I can gather from the "legal jargon" is that it's not required on regular passenger vehicles.
"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so."

Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Jimdear2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologic View Post
This is why I'm pretty sure I'm going 4 wheels now
I realized many states either require helmets or don't even allow enclosed 3 wheelers.

Stupid, but that's how it is.

It seems that I can just fall under "kit car" regulations no matter how I build the car, which requires an inspection only.

That's really good to hear about your 2004 civic not having them... from what I can gather from the "legal jargon" is that it's not required on regular passenger vehicles.
Technologic
You probably know this but just in case. As far as I know, as an individual, you would fall under a different set of rules covered by your state laws only. But each state has their own set of rules. I don't think the Feds are involved at an indivdual level YET!!!

A good source to check into would be hot rodders. They scratch build a lot of one offs. I'm sure they can point you to the right spot to look into the rules for your state, locations for inspections, etc.

As far as driving into another state, All states will allow pass through for somethig legal and accepted by another state, even if it doesn't meet their own rules.

Have a great day, Summers comming,
Jim

In memory of my wife and her wheelie tractor,

Jim

Last edited by Jimdear2; 03-01-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdear2 View Post
Technologic
You probably know this but just in case. As an individual as far as I know you would fall under a different set of rules covered by your state laws only. But each state has their own set of rules. I don't think the Feds are involved at an indivdual level YET!!!

A good source to check into would be hot rodders. They scratch build a lot of one offs. I'm sure they can point you to the right spot to look into the rules for your state, locations for inspections, etc.
I have checked it out, and besides a roadway tax off receipts (ie. a sales tax they want) there's pretty much nothing stopping a custom car in NC.

I'm more interested in bypassing crash testing or if it's even necessary if one was to sell small volumes of "custom" cars if you cloned one you made (personal interest sake, not particularly relevant to my build plans)

The laws on it are sparse at best... from what I can gather, as long as it's a small enough volume (a few hundreds or low thousands a year) the government just looks the other way and allows registration under "new reconstructed" or "custom cars".

This is one realm the EU is actually better they actually have small "fry" sales permits if the car meets general inspections and complies with modern emission standards.

It's eerie when I started looking into crash test prices... $50 million+ pissed away for a single model to be authorized. Clearly large car companies are bribing their way out of this for new model years.

Only further realized that I'd never want to even try to produce cars for a living (maybe as a hobby), unless I had massive private investment capital and even then ... I'd really hate seeing $50 million dollars going to some crash test dummy and paying them to wreck my hard work

Thanks again for the info
I'm torturing myself by reading about the different colors the feds allow hydraulic fluid to be... and what kinds of hydraulic fluids must be certain colors. Don't even ask me why it matters enough to make laws for it... they never answer that question lol

Last edited by Technologic; 03-01-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Share or Bookmark this