DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Forum Poster Reputations

145K views 67 replies 29 participants last post by  evmetro 
#1 ·
Hey all...

If you're not aware, I'd like to point out that our forum permits users to "adjust reputation" for other users. This is what the "Green Square(s)" in the header of each user's posts is for. You know, the one that when you hover over it, it says something like "TX_Dj is on a distinguished road."

I'm not so sure why it uses that verbiage, but this system is in place so that when users who read a post that was helpful to them (or if it was entirely offbase and mis-informative), those users can "agree/disagree" and will alter the poster's reputation score.

As the forum grows, this will become more important to help new users determine who among us have been the most or least helpful towards other users.

You can access the reputation system by finding a post that you wish to "rank", and click this button
at the top right of that post. This will pop up a dialog box which asks you if you agree or disagree with the poster's statements, and even permits you to make a comment if you wish.

In the last few days, I've tried to ensure that I rate helpful posts to help get this ball rolling a little faster. I'd like to request others to do the same. So having said that, if you have any "favorite people" on the forum, try to dig up some of their posts that were helpful to you, so that you may contribute to their reputation with a quick "agree/disagree" vote.

I think if we all pull together and do this, it will really help everyone understand that it's not how many posts someone's made, but the content of those posts, that determines if someone is likely to be giving good information. This is especially crucial on our forum, as many of our new users have little or no background on the subject and have difficulting weeding out the good stuff from the BS. Let's all pitch in and help to improve the community. :D

See less See more
#47 ·
I figured out that the green/red square depends on the positive/negative reputation points which you can bestow by clicking on the "balance scales" icon. I noticed that mine had changed to "indeterminate" and another member had a red square so I gave him a boost, for thanking me. :)

#51 ·
This thread is very relevant.

I motion that these 'reputations' be done away with. It is quite easy for a group of 3 people (or 1 person with 3 aliases) to leave negative feedback and permanently damage your online reputation. :eek:

I told a poster that it was impolite to bash competitor's products without supporting data and BLAMO! I suddenly have a black dot. :confused: This is unacceptable. I did nothing questionable and was very polite in my request that vendors and their employees not get on DIY and bash each other's products.

How does bullying helping the EV community? This is sad and the reputation feature should be removed since it is so easily manipulated by a small group with an agenda.

#53 ·
I told a poster that it was impolite to bash competitor's products without supporting data and BLAMO! I suddenly have a black dot. :confused: This is unacceptable. I did nothing questionable and was very polite in my request that vendors and their employees not get on DIY and bash each other's products....
Uhh... your perception of reality seems to be totally inverted here. It was me politely asking you to, and I quote, tone down the rhetoric:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=305192&postcount=42

About three weeks later I mysteriously received negative rep from "someone" who commented "Hogwash!" (gee, I wonder who that was... :rolleyes:) for my initial post to that thread:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=303663&postcount=3

So, uh... yeah. You aren't exactly the victim here.

#54 ·
I think most people don't even know about the "reputation" system. I started with the default "on a distinguished road" and then I got a favorable point, but then a negative point for "off topic" and another that seems to be neutral, so I'm an "unknown quantity at this point". This might be valuable if it was used more, and for the purpose intended. With only occasional use, it can be abused. It would be more useful if each respondent would automatically be requested to apply a reputation point.

#55 ·
ummm.. Tesseract, can't you take my peace offering? I tried to leave it positive and show a nice picture of us hanging at EVCCON. You are assuming I left you negative feedback, I am assuming you left me negative feedback. Maybe it was 3rd parties dissing both of us for bickering. :eek:

I am happy to drop it and move on. There are a LOT of ICE's out there to convert. No need to argue among ourselves.

Peace out,

Ruckus

#56 ·
It took me awhile to get around to this thread, but before I read this I have been wondering how to earn a black dot. I have noticed that most of the people around here that I really look up to have managed to earn a black dot. I guess I have not been around here long enough to earn that honorable recognition. Whenever I see a black dot, I pay attention closely because these guys seem to really know what they are talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.