Grant electric mini. - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 AM

Studebaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grant electric mini.

Hi lads.

So, I decided to attempt this project.

. Yeap …it’s a mini. Not the best example, this one. In need of full restoration. That’s way this isn’t gonna be one of those fast moving threads. Although , I will work on electric drive train, along with restoration, so I hope I’ll have something to show for soon enough.

Mini isn’t the easiest one to convert. This transmission in the sump stuff makes it really difficult. I should probably have chosen different car. Say, Nissan Micra. Or Toyota Yaris. Or…but hey, if I am to part with 10k Euro plus in the course of this build, I’m not putting me dough into something that I can only drive while wearing balaclava. I don’t want a car that I have to park two blocks away from meeting place just to avoid being seen in it.

Mini on other hand, is a pretty little thing. Nice little car. And, if it wasn’t for that strangely designed drive train, I’d say it would be an ideal base for EV conversion. It is light, it’s simple, and it’s cool.

Mini it is, then.

My plan is to use preferably off the shelf parts, and components. New ones. Where not possible, those easily available. Scaling engineering and fabricating work down to the very minimum. The idea is to work out a way of converting these cars without complicated machining work, without difficult fabrications i.e. Can spent up to 10k Euro. That’s only conversion. Excluding car and its restoration costs. Anything above 10k Euro mark doesn’t actually make much sense for me. I don’t care for environment Neither I’m into saving the planet crap. I want the return of my investment during few years of using the car as daily commuter.

I’d like, driving this car wouldn’t require any special skills. That it could be driven by anyone. My teenage daughter, my partner (she doesn’t drive stick), and also my nearly 90 years old grandma. My grandma hardly even walks, to be honest. Let alone drive. But you know what I’m getting at here. Tricky clutch less gear shifting is out of question. Any gear shifting - for that matter- is out of question.

Car will be mainly used for commuting to work. I live in rural area (25KM from nearest town), and my partner drives to work 5 days a week. She does from 52 to 60 (depends on her shopping frenzy) kilometers there and back. And that basically covers our transportation needs.

I’m gonna start from the drive train. And here I could really use your help. Any advice, any suggestions, will be most appreciated. Actually, trying to figure out how to transfer power from electric motor to mini’s wheels - without getting into advanced engineering stuff - is the reason I’ve lost sleep lately.

Last edited by Studebaker; 03-13-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 AM

jackbauer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Grant electric mini.

Taking a guess your Irish?? I would look at using a small fwd gearbox say from a civic or a micra.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator

skooler is on a distinguished road

Hi,
You mentioned not wanting to use gears. Have you considered direct drive?

I'd be tempted to mount an oversize motor directly to a differential on the rear axle.

You can then control take off torque/speed in the controller (ramp rate?)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Taking a guess your Irish?? I would look at using a small fwd gearbox say from a civic or a micra.
Not Irish. But living in Ireland. Small place in the middle of nowhere in county Tipperary.

Actually it was you Damien who infected me with the idea. Been watching you building your beemer and it got me hooked.

Yeah thatís what Iím thinking. Small fwd transmission. But in my case it has to be an automatic one. See itís not me who will be driving this car. I donít get into a car unless itís absolutely necessary. And me woman doesnít have a clue how to change the gear.

I been cracking my heed around CVT tranny from Micra. Older Micra. Plenty of those around. The thing is that its control unit would have to be modified, to work with electric motor and Iím not sure Iím up to the task here. But I probably try this route.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooler View Post
Hi,
You mentioned not wanting to use gears. Have you considered direct drive?

I'd be tempted to mount an oversize motor directly to a differential on the rear axle.

You can then control take off torque/speed in the controller (ramp rate?)

Cheers,

Mike
The trouble is, it’s FWD car. Oversized motor may also be tricky to fit. Mini’s engine bay is a size of larger watermelon. I was thinking about 9” kostov. Or one of those

Yes, direct drive could be the way to go, I guess. If CVT won’t play out, I probably attempt to fabricate a direct drive transaxle. Came across something like this

It’s drive train from berlingo electrique. Smartly designed I should say, but way beyond my engineering skills

Last edited by Studebaker; 03-13-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Admin: 'one of many'

Woodsmith will become famous soon enough

You could use two of the Agni motors, one for each wheel but will need a reduction gear, chain or belt to get usable torque.

The Berlingo unit is nice but you will need the controller to go with it as it is a high voltage SepEx unit. There are some Berlingos being broken in Kent IIRC. The breaker isn't allowed to sell them on as vehicles but could be persuaded to sell the front half, which is the half that has all the useful bits. You would need someone who knows them though to make sure you are not missing any of the many hard to get components.

I would be tempted to just use an auto transaxle from something small and just go with it. A pre electronically managed car would be the easiest I suspect.

Alternatively, you could get a chain drive diff unit as used on motorbike-trike conversions. That will give you a wide range of chain or belt drive ratios for direct drive from one motor.
I know of a chap with the same set up in a mini/2CV based clown car he uses for children's shows.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 PM

jackbauer is on a distinguished road

Glad to have been an inspiration My 2 cents would be this : Keep it simple. Sure , lots of interesting things can be done with enough time , effort and money but sometimes the best solution is the simple one. Also i would not go direct drive. It sounds great and works out great on paper but you end up with a milk float or a cooked motor.

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the mini gearbox. Been years since I worked on one but it should be possible. As woodsmith suggested a small , non electronic automatic might be another good choice.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Caspar is on a distinguished road

The solution is easy, let me help you find a Think Classic donor in Norway. You can get them from 1500-2000 euro. Spend a Weekend in Oslo, and take out the driveline and the wiring, and you will have all you need too do a nice convertion of your Mini.
I have all the wiringdiagram you need also
http://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php/topic,4416.0.html
http://forum.autoclassic.no/phpbb3/v...php?f=9&t=6078
Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsmith View Post
You could use two of the Agni motors, one for each wheel but will need a reduction gear, chain or belt to get usable torque.
Somehow I donít like the idea of using chain or belt to propel a car. Donít know why. Iíve seen MalcolmĒs dual drive power train in miniís sub frame and it is very nicely put together, but Önah, no chains for me.

Quote:
There are some Berlingos being broken in Kent IIRC.
I also found berlingo in Ireland. 3k euro asking price. In decent condition. Donít know. Seems like kicking down an open door. Braking up good car to build a different one? Why not get and drive berlingo in the first place?

Quote:
I would be tempted to just use an auto transaxle from something small and just go with it.
Small auto. This idea is most appealing. Say, there's that cvt transmission from Micra K11 a was looking at. It has electromagnetic clutch witch I would scrap, and couple transmission with motor directly. CVT doesnít have to idle to be operational. Now, the pulleys that change ratios are pushed together or spread apart by hydraulics operated by set of valves. And here the troubles start. The valves are hooked to ECU. Do you think there could be the way of controlling those valves skipping the ECU ?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the mini gearbox. Been years since I worked on one but it should be possible. .
Actually this mini is an automatic. But, how to hook the motor to a gearbox where the gearbox is actually a sump? Seen it done thou. Metal plate bolted to the top. Then motor to it, chained up with a layshaft. Canít say I liked it.

Share or Bookmark this