Guidlines for answering newbie questions - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > Chit Chat

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2010, 11:50 AM

stomper is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Guidlines for answering newbie questions

Totally great information indeed! Thanks for the heads up. Definately a sticky!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 05:17 PM

Aelwero is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guidlines for answering newbie questions

what if some flippin newb goes posting to a thread from a year ago?

Muahaha
Old 08-24-2010, 06:32 PM

electromet is on a distinguished road

Works for me.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/204
Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM

zeroemission is on a distinguished road

i understand how noob "stupid questions that get asked all the time" can be annoying in ANY forum with people who know the ropes, but sometimes those questions are harder to find answers to than you think.

no, i haven't read ANYTHING in this forum before my introduction, but have tried to research EV conversions over MANY hours with search engines and feel i know about as much about power & range as i did when i started.

all of the various ways electric motors are rated watts/amps/volts/horsepower etc. my my head explode and do nothing but muddle the issue! how can you compare items & technologies when each "speak a different language"? add to that, contradictory information eg. white zombie has a 3,500 motor, but one conversion site says stay under 400rpm! when you keep getting dead ended like that, it makes research fruitless and eventually too much trouble. it would be nice if everyone used the same measurements at least, but they don't.

that's why i came here. all of my research so far has done little but frustrate me and create MORE questions i can't find the answer to. when search engines fail, ask someone who KNOWS & speaks plain english or who can at least tell me WHAT info i'm really looking for and where to find it. having name & number dyslexia doesn't help with technobabble one bit either. that's why i'm here asking stupid noob questions that i'll be in turn happy to answer for the next noob down the line. noobs don't bother me at all. i'm happy to share any knowledge i can. my main activity in other forums where i have actual knowledge is answering questions, but here, i'm totally out of my element.

as a noob whose TRIED in vain to educate himself until getting zero answers other than partial fragments here and there proved too much, i appreciate this sticky's intent.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:45 PM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroemission View Post
no, i haven't read ANYTHING in this forum before my introduction, but have tried to research EV conversions over MANY hours with search engines and feel i know about as much about power & range as i did when i started.

all of the various ways electric motors are rated watts/amps/volts/horsepower etc. my my head explode
Hey zero,

Try reading
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/ev-information-669.html And using the forum search feature. Then nose around the forums on this site and poke around in ones with titles which catch your eye. No, we don't expect you and other noobs to read everything ever posted here, but spending a few hours would help you ask more intelligent and reasonable questions.

Welcome to this forum

major
Old 09-17-2010, 06:02 AM

zeroemission is on a distinguished road

i'm not at all patient with playing the "looking for a needle in a haystack" method of self education. i can maintain it for a few days, maybe a week, then i have to just ask another human directly.

most of my questions have already been answered by the two essential Formulas no one ever talks about in their watts/volts/HP/amps etc. articles...
1hp = 746 watts
&
volts x amps = watts

all that confusion over SIMPLE Formulas that like to remain "top secret". i can now research to my heart's content as i have the missing pieces to compare the capabilities of a 1,000 watt moped with a 300hp dragster. it would be so much simpler if every builder or parts manufacturer etc. used the same standard... watts & volts or watts & amps, or even volts & amps. all you need is two of them to tell "the whole story".
Old 04-27-2011, 01:38 PM

adamu is on a distinguished road

hello;
I'm a newbie, joined two days ago. I found the guideline for handling newbies dead on. my exspectations when I joined was that I was going to build a car to get me to new orleans and back( round trip 125miles). well maybe but if not a car to get me around this small community would still
be finacially attractive to me & building the car will be very self satisfying.

just putting a toe in the water: adamu
Old 05-21-2011, 08:57 PM

Vikingdad is on a distinguished road

Matt,
I am new here (today as a matter of fact) and I love your "Guidlines for answering newbie questions". I want to ask if you would mind if I suggested them to some of the other forums I belong to (giving you full credit of course)?

One would hope that in a polite society (oh wait, I'm talking about the Internet. Never mind.) OK, in a polite conversation, you don't ridicule people participating in the conversation. That is just rude.

So anyhow, I would like your permission to use your words with attribution in other forums. If not I can re-write it, but that smells too much like plagiarism to me.

Vikingdad
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 PM

Jamie EV is an unknown quantity at this point

I like to ask questions. That's how I learn. Sometimes the answers are way over my head and then I break a question down into it's component parts...because I'm dumb, I guess...but eventually I get the answer....but I have noticed that certain individuals like to lord their expertise over others. Not in a helpful way but in a way that says, "Wow you have no business being here".

That said, I've had some amazingly helpful responses to my questions. I am really learning a lot here!

Not everyone here is an electronics or a mechanics whiz. I am neither. I come by my knowledge by beating my head against experience until my brain swells.

If you're like me and you have a "special" way of learning, and you have a question that you're afraid to ask because of the knee-jerk comments that you'll receive, Give me the question and I'll ask it in your place.

Great forum.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Duncan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie EV View Post
I like to ask questions. That's how I learn. Sometimes the answers are way over my head and then I break a question down into it's component parts...because I'm dumb, I guess...but eventually I get the answer....but I have noticed that certain individuals like to lord their expertise over others. Not in a helpful way but in a way that says, "Wow you have no business being here".

That said, I've had some amazingly helpful responses to my questions. I am really learning a lot here!

Not everyone here is an electronics or a mechanics whiz. I am neither. I come by my knowledge by beating my head against experience until my brain swells.

If you're like me and you have a "special" way of learning, and you have a question that you're afraid to ask because of the knee-jerk comments that you'll receive, Give me the question and I'll ask it in your place.

Great forum.
All very sweet!!

And then you think you should insult the people who make it all possible?

Quote from.... Jamie EV

All the real ideas are done by inventors and polymaths and polyglots.

My father was no engineer and he could understand technology better than any engineer he met. Frankly, the title engineer doesn't impress me much as I know many who could not keep up with basic theory.

Polyglots. - what the hell does being able to speak a number of languages have to do with engineering?

Last edited by Duncan; 10-14-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Share or Bookmark this