Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 PM

RogerK is on a distinguished road
Default Honda Goldwing Conversion

I am converting an 86 Honda Goldwing and I plan to document progress here. I welcome questions and comments. This forum is an excellent way to learn, share ideas, and network.

I started this project near the end of 2011. I had previously converted a 66 MG. After a few years of using that car I decided I had to either put more money into it or use the parts for somhhting else. So I stripped the car, and many of the parts are being used for this project.

I found the Honda Goldwing at a motorcycle junk yard. It was old, but still running. I towed it home, stuck a battery in and rode it for a couple weeks in the late fall. It was in need of work, but the fact it was operational (as compared to some of the junked ones with missing parts), gave me a good head start.

177.jpg
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Honda Goldwing Conversion

The bike is now in the shed and retired as an ICE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 183.jpg (96.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM

I got the bike into the heated part of the shed for the winter and started to strip it down. It took 3 sessions to get all the way down to the frame. I'm glad I'm doing an EV, because putting this IEC back together would be a monster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (93.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (90.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (86.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (95.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Now to get the motor and drive system installed. The motor is a Warp 8 by Advanced DC motors - 203-06-4001. When it was in the MG I had a 96V led acid system and could get up to 60mpg. The range was a dissapointing 20 miles. So I know this motor is plenty big for the Goldwing. I plan on about 76V using LiFePo4.

The motor drive was challenging. I first had to get a custom drive shaft made to fit the spline in the U joint. Then trying to mount everything so it is alligned is difficult. A motorcycle frame has many curves in all axis and nothing seems parellel. But I did get the drive system installed and running smoothly (of 48V on led acid I have sitting around).

I calculated my ratio as best I could figure. The shaft to rear wheel is about 1:2.75, and the motor to drive pulley is about 1:1.6. So overall I should have about 1:4.4 At 3500 rpm will provide 57 mph. According to the specs on the motor, 75v provides just over 3500 rpm. Seems like a reasonable ratio. I designed this so I can put in a different size if I need to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (94.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (94.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (94.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Next are the battery boxes. I spent a fair amount of time researching batteries for capacity, performance, and fit. The Calb lithium ion will work best. I built 2 battery boxes that will each hold a matix of 12 batteries. The boxes use a 1/2" steel angle iron welded with a poly sheet base. I decided to build these prior to ordering the batteries. They are quite expensive, so why not wait. I am doing this on spare time, so who knows when I will be ready for them.

I also researeched the BMS (or no BMS). I decided on the Elithion system. It is reasonably priced and not only manages and balances the batteries, but provides a control for the bike (including all the guaging I will want).

The next step is to strip more wiring down. There is a ton of modules, harnesses, connectors, and crap that I'm thinking much of it not needed. So stripping that is next. Electrical controls is my career, so I am quite comfortable with this part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (92.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 PM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerK View Post
Next are the battery boxes.
Hi RogerK,

Coming along nicely. Keep up the good work

major
Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 PM

Joey is on a distinguished road

I love the pictures. I'm also planning to use Calb on my car. I think they are the best value for range amoung the available lithium options. What size cell are you thinking?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 PM

I am getting the 70aH. You will need to go larger for a car. Perhaps the 100aH, then try to get to about 120V and you'll have plenty speed. I've read you need about 8000WH to equal a gallon of gas. So the above example would give you the equivilent of 1.5 gallons. Maybe 50 miles or so for a smaller car. It will cost, but nothing like lithiums these days.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 PM

RussE is on a distinguished road

Roger - Great project - Looking forward to riding with you on road trips with my gas burning Honda - RussE
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM

My Kawasaki Vaoyager died. Bummer. It is stuck in either 4th or 5th gear. I've tried everything to free it. It seems a huge job to open the transmission, and I'd rather put my time into the Goldwing. So if someone is thinking of a bike for a conversion, this could be a candidate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (93.3 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this