Hpevs - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > Chit Chat

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 PM

tomofreno will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hpevs

Welcome Sean. Good to see the new website up with much more info on products. Even better to see an HPEVS person show up here. Like JRP3 said, be prepared for lots of questions. One of the first will likely be why not 650A on the new Curtis 144V controller (though it isn't under HPEVS control), as many feel it is not enough torque and power for a 3000 lb car. Seems many here want sub 12 second 0 to 60 mph time, or even better less than 10 sec.

I would mainly like to see torque-speed and power curves for the newer motors, AC51, AC75, and specs like rated constant power, max voltage...

There is a thread for HPEVS motors under the Electric Motors Forum. The last page in it as of today is here:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...-34853p49.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 06:31 AM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough

From what Tesseract has told me the limit is probably due to the limits of available components at affordable prices. It seems there is a huge jump in costs to do higher than 500A at higher voltages.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM

HPEVS is on a distinguished road

Good morning and thanks for the welcome!

I appreciate the chance to answer questions, and I will do my best to answer them as quick as possible.

JRP3 is correct about components availability. At this stage, Curtis went with the 550A at 144V because of the fact that currently they do not have a MOSFET that can produce the higher amperage at the 144V level. But if you look at how things have progressed with the development of anything electrical, I would believe that we would see improvements over time.

In response to wanting the sup 12 second car, I understand the need, we all want to go fast, but remember that there are so many variables to how an EV will react off the line. Battery conditions, surrounding environment (cold or hot), weight of the vehicle, gear ratios, the condition of the drivetrain. Any EV will give you different responses based on the surrounding temperature. Take a vehicle to a cold weather state and it would drive differently compared to let's say Arizona.

Currently, we have converted a Scion Xb (which is on our website, unsolicited plug )which has been driven over 2000 miles since the conversion. This vehicle is one of our test beds. This vehicle after conversion sits at 3400 lbs curb weight! It has the AC 51 motor installed with the 144V controller, and I can tell you from experience that it moves butt. I talked to Brian this morning about trap times, and he is going to program a stop trap bit for the Scion so that we can give out some data on time based on speed, but again, it is based on a whole bunch of surrounding conditions so your experience might be different then what we would publish.

What we sell is reliability, but also driveability. We have had many customers and vendors come by and mentioned that after they drove the vehicle that they did not know that it was electric.

Remember, we are building our own motor dyno for which we will be characterizing all of our motors that we sell. We will be updating our website and social media with updates on the status of this project, so stay tuned.

As an additional thought, the "AC-75" is still in developmental stage. We have a lot of work that needs to be done to characterize this motor. As we move forward, we will have a better feel for what this motor will be capable of, but again, it is still in developmental stage. Stay tuned!

Thanks for your time and have a great day,

Sean

Innovation in Motion, Powered by Electricity.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVS View Post

At this stage, Curtis went with the 550A at 144V because of the fact that currently they do not have a MOSFET that can produce the higher amperage at the 144V level.

Sean
I assume you meant 500A at 144V, unless they bumped it up?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 AM

HPEVS is on a distinguished road

You are correct...one too many 5's. 144V 500A is correct.

Innovation in Motion, Powered by Electricity.

Share or Bookmark this